Grenades, anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grenades, anyone?

Let's see if we can get a thread started on examples of WWI and WWII Axis grenades and/or boobytraps. I'll add some pics this weekend of some examples of early designs, but let's see what you have?

Here are 3 examples showing the evolution of the German stick grenade. There were many other variants on these basic models. Left to right are:
    M1915: This type originally had a string pull to the fuze running through the handle, looped on the end, then tied down with waxed paper. My example is missing the string, but you can still see where the waxed paper tapes were.
    M1917: This one is dated April 1917. Note that it has crimps holding the threaded collar for the head to the handle. Screws were also used.
    StiGr39: (or M24) This one is dated Oct. 1940.
    The other photos show close-ups of the cans and the final photo shows the pull string ends.

Comment

the same grenade

Hello

I have just the same grenade of that one on the 4th picture of yours.
      With the numberRR217-40.
      He comes from Normandiƫ.
      Can you tell me what kind of number that is?
      Sorry I don't have a digi-camera. So no pic's
      Thanks for your help
      Greetings Nick

Comment

I'm somewhat familiar with how the "pineapple" US grenade works, but how does this one work? What kind of fuse was it? What did you do, pull the string? then how long before it went off?

Seba
        SebastiƔn J. Bianchi

Wehrmacht-Awards.com

Comment

hello Sebastian

You're right, they had to pull the string.
          They had about 10sec for the explosion.
          What appeared to be too long. Because the enemy had still the change to trough it back. (The Rus. grenade only 3sec.)
          greetings Nick
          Picture: string

Comment

here is the pic

string M24

Comment

Nick's right. The string went up to a detonator and time delay fuze assembly screwed into the handle and extending up into the can. Most of the WWII fuzes had about a 4 to 5 second delay. I think the smoke grenades went a little longer, maybe 7 seconds.

The earlier WWI stick grenades came with 5 1/2 or 7 second fuzes. The 5 1/2 second grenade cans were painted feldgrau and the 7 seconds' were black.

The grenades were shipped without the fuze charges (the detonator and pull string assembly were already installed). This was done by unscrewing the can from the handle, then press fitting the fuze delay charge into the detonator.

Maybe someone can post a picture of a fuze assembly mounted on the end of a handle.

The Germans, forever making sure everything was "just right", marked most of their cans with the German equivalent of "set detonator before using" or in plain English "pull the string before throwing, dummy". The BEST label on German grenades was the one which appeared on the top of smoke and other grenades which warned the user to "throw this thing far away". NO JOKE!! I'm sure that label was real handy to a guy standing there with a sputtering stick grenade, after pulling the fuze, and wondering what to do next......". I'm sure I'd be looking for the instructions at that point......

Comment

German grenades

Hey,
                Those are some nice pieces, Doug!I have one I got from the vet. He had the paperwork for bringing them home(he had two), but I can't find it and he could only find one. He swears that the hakenkruez was on the end when he got it. The can is the for the detenators, it held 15. I got that from a vet's daughter, it had some cloth pieces in it including three grey on black SS sleeve eagles. Hope you can enjoy the pics.
                Terry K.
                Attached Files
                Terry Keller
                "ihr wollt doch auch das Blut vom Degen lecken"
                Rammstein

Comment

another, sorry came out too dark
                  Attached Files
                  Terry Keller
                  Rammstein

Comment

again
                    Attached Files
                    Terry Keller
                    Rammstein

Comment

last
                      Attached Files
                      Terry Keller
                      Rammstein

Comment

Hi guys,

On thing mentioned earlier is the way the Germans marked their smoke grenades. I can confirm that the smoke grenades in use by the British forces today are still marked "Throw away from person, do not hold."

I remember being on exercise in Sennybridge (training area in wales) and a friend thinking he could "..do an apocalypse now" and wave the smoke to signal the helicopters in. He suffered 2nd degree burns before throwing the canister into the scrub nearby and setting it on fire! The helicopters certainly couldn't miss the landing area!

Comment

Hello,

i own several stickgrenades , could someone post my pics? I'm very interested to see some nice fragmentation sleeves.

Greetings

Heinrich

Comment

Heinrich,
                            Email me your photos and I'll post them.

Comment

You'll get the photos within the next days.

Thanks

Heinrich

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X