MK103-108 3cm minen rounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by me6_130 View Post
    Thanks for the tip Someone will be letting me a lathe so I will try to make some caps. Have you not threaden your's?

This projectile is the best of them.

Carles
    No there is no thread.It is machined to fit tight over projectile thread.I still need to make side holes and tip hole.Then i can fill the holes with black plastic filler to make it look proper.I need to use some filler for the projectile also to make sides smooth.Then i can paint it.And maybe i can find MK103 casing someday to make round complete.

Comment

Jussi, are you sure it has to be black filler? The ones I've got show a whitish filler.

Carles

Comment

Originally posted by me6_130 View Post
        Jussi, are you sure it has to be black filler? The ones I've got show a whitish filler.

Carles
        Kunstoff filler is black.I will upload picture here later today when i get home,i have one projectile with completely original/period magnewin cap and it have black kunstoff filler.

Comment

Here are two of mine. You can clearly see the filling is white. The first is untouched and the second was in vinegar for about 1 hour. Perhaps different makers used different filling stuff

Carles
          Attached Files

Comment

I went up to the ironmonger (industrial supply shop) a couple of days ago. I asked for a M23x1 die to thread the caps for these projectiles...They didn't have it:

- That's a very rare thread- the man said. -But I can order it for you and you'll have it in a couple of days.

-Ok, how much will it cost?

He took a catalogue and had a look:

-298€!

- I'll let it pass, I replied

[http://www.ebay.de/itm/271376403113?...84.m1438.l2649
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi

298 Euro for a metric die, that is way over the top.

Here in England I can get a M23 x 1 or 1.5 for £14.00 plus shipping, you should be able to get one a whole lot cheaper if you shop around.

Regards

Richard

Comment

Well,

I have just found one a bit cheaper...from china, shipping included about 12€!!! I think it might be just OK for what I need...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pcs-Metric-...-/221391484213

Carles

Comment

Jussi,

What about using magnesium bar to reproduce the caps instead of using aluminium? It would be nearer to the original. I'm looking for some around the internet.

Carles

Comment

Gentlemen,

I've been working a bit these last days..and my first test has been a succes. Made out of aluminium and threaded as the original!!!

Carles
                    Attached Files

Comment

Now I'll go for the good ones in magnesium.

Carles
                      Attached Files

Comment

Well, here's the first one. Hope it looks OK.

Carles
                        Attached Files

Comment

Threaded and hollow, of course.

Carles
                          Attached Files

Comment

An update,

I have had time to make several caps and I want to restore the rounds I have. Now, the question is...should the caps be painted white...or left in their natural metal colour?

I've got cases for MK101 and MK103 rounds

Carles
                            Attached Files

Comment

I have never seen warperiod original rounds,but pictures in various books show that cap is white down to "kunstoff" hole height.And black from there to aluminium frame.

Your caps need "kunstoff" hole(filler material between wolfram core and magnesium hat.One hole in top,two holes in sides.

Your projectile have nice original worn "look" black/red,so try to make white for the cap in same style.Not shiny white,but worn looking.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by jiipee76; 09-15-2014, 12:30 AM.

Comment

Thanks Jussi,

I had the impression it had to be painted white but I read somewhere that they were left unpainted. Another member has told me the right colour would be present day RAL 9001. My caps have the top hole for the filling but my 2mm drill broke, so I couldn't make the 2 side holes. I hope to buy a new one soon. BTW, I got an airbrush for my birthday

I only know two period pics that show 3cm HK rounds being loaded in a plane and they seemed to be painted black, but better ask than make a mistake.

Carles
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X