Bhdgr 42 (n)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bhdgr 42 (n)

Does anybody know something more about these grenades? They are made on the Raufoss ammunition plant (now better known as Nammo, producing amongst other things the .50 Multipurpose cartridge) and comes in at least 4 different types that I know of; the type shown, one identical but with red instead of yellow band (believed to be a "Brand-granate") one almost identical to the 3 shown on photo marked "splitter", and last a type without the "well" on top, that one is marked Bhdgr 43 (n).I will try to take photos of the other types later.

It would be very interesting if someone had more more reference material concerning these grenades, I have found some norwegian army manuals (National guard to be precise) from the mid 1950 showing these grenades and speak of them as "Buchsen Handgranaten", it is also produced a Norwegian post war igniter for these (also used on german egg grenades as the norwegian army considered the Brennzünder 39 to be dangerous (!) There has obvious been large qantas of these left since the army cared to make regulations and even a new igniter-divice for these. From time to time empty wooden crates surfaces that have contained these grenades.
    Attached Files

kk

ll
    Attached Files

Comment

aa

aa
      Attached Files

Comment

Have nobody outside Norway seen or heard of these German grenades?

Comment

never seen before.....

Comment

Then maybe the Germans did not distribute these outside Norway? They are rare even in Norway, and often when found they are "waterfinds" from ammo-dumps. Grenades in the condition shown on the photos are extremely rare. The norwegian defense museum in Oslo does have one complete crate/box of these.
            Last edited by Hilton; 03-15-2012, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Bhdgr M42

Hi,
              Hope this pic will help you
              Best regards

[IMG][IM]http://data.imagup.com/12/1146553104.png[/IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Excellent photos MARCUS08, thank you for the contribution. Here the crate from the museum are shown. Looks like the grenade are from the same lot as the one I show:-)

Comment

wow

Comment

NEVER saw this before *** well you'll ever learn new ***

Comment

Hi:
                      If the three grenades of the pics are on your collection you are a lucky collector, I got mine some years ago also from Norway and I know another original crate with 5-6 grenades in a collection in Germany. They are pretty rare and were made by Norway under German occupation.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Interesting info Grenademan, that it exist a crate i Germany as well. Do you know the lot number on the grenades in that crate? It seems that your Bhdgr 42 also are from the R. 1 43 lot. That support my assumptions that a crate was split up for sale approximately 10 years ago, maybe the crate that now are in Germany? I will try to take some photos of the Bhdr 42 "Splitter", and the Bhdgr 43 next week.

Raufoss also produced an even rarer grenade for the Germans; an egg grenade ,made in Bakelit. But more on that later, its no reason to clutter this Bhdgr thread:-)

Comment

Hi:
                          No chance for to know that info, I just visited the collection last year and have no pics. A bakelite egg grenade? Very interesting.

Comment

I have 2 in my collection, also in similar nice condition. All the examples I know of in the U.S. came from one collector in California about 20 years ago. He traveled in Europe buying ordnance and bringing it back here in small lots. I would guess perhaps 8 or 10 came over, all nicely inerted by a source in Norway.

At the time I was told that they were being destroyed in fairly large quantities as obsolete munitions and someone in the Norwegian EOD saved a few dozen for the collecting world.

I haven't seen any surface and change hands in many years. Will look at mine for lot numbers and try to get a photo up. Very curious about the splitter and 43 models and looking forward to seeing them.

Comment

Hello Ordnance. Happy to hear that you got hold of 2 from the lot that went over the pond:-) Yes ,someone in the system (not EOD) "sneaked" a small quantity of these out the backdoor when a moderate load of these was discovered in a national guard ammo-bunker (If my memory serves me well it was 8 crates). 5 crates was destructed, 3 were "saved". These are long gone and absorbed into collections, mostly in Norway, some in the USA, and a few in Germany.

I will post photos of the Bhdgr 43, and the Bhdgr 42 "Splitter" tomorrow.

What lot nr are on your 2 grenades Ordnance?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X