This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Graf Spee threads

I have merged numerous Graf Spee related threads into this thread. Hopefully it will make sense chronologically.

Last edited by John R.; 09-21-2019, 10:30 AM.

Graf Spee

Great photos. Thanks for posting them. Here are a couple from my last trip to Montevideo, also parts of Graf Spee. This is one of the main anchors. John
    Attached Files

Comment

Graf Spee

15cm secondary battery.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by John R.; 02-14-2006, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Graf Spee

Secondary anchors.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Tsuba
          Hi Guys
          I have a small White Ensign off the Achilles. Signed by River Plate crew in 1940. Also signed by Capt Parry.
          Thaught you may be interested.
          Can send photos to interested people.

Regards
          Ross
          Ross, please go ahead and post your photo. I think a lot of people would like to see it. John

Comment

graf spee

"Telemetero" means literally in English "telemeteric", but from Spanish naval terminology to English naval terminology means "range finder". Image attached of 10.5 meter range finder salvaged a while ago.

This also housed one of the first radars on a naval ship, something that the British Secret Service rushed to the wreck to investigate. I am not sure what they found, probably still a secret.

Yes, Uruguay is a very nice country, the Army museum on the hill overlooking the bay is worth going to also. The Navy museum by your house is interesting, even though it is small, and I found the curator quite helpful. The only problem is finding it but worth the search.

If I had the money, I would buy a place in Punta Del Este of course, but the prices are too high for me!!
            Attached Files
            Last edited by John R.; 02-14-2006, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Interesting Documents

Some interesting documents associated with the Graf Spee. This one gives permission to Miguel Copplola to board the Graf Spee. He inspected the damage following the battle in order to determine if she was still seaworthy and able to sail.
              Attached Files
              Regards, Rob
              Collecting Inerests Awards / Badges and Kriegsmarine

Comment

Letter from the German Consul at the time Langmann thanking him for his assistance and work.

My Spanish is pretty basic so if any member would like to post a more accurate translation it would be much appreciated
                Attached Files
                Regards, Rob

Comment

A newspaper of the day
                  Attached Files
                  Regards, Rob

Comment

Graf Spee

Hello,
                    This is a great thread, and the Battle of the River Plate in my opinion is one of the more interesting episodes of WWII. I am even reading a classic book on this battle at the moment.

Thank for the super pictures. I will have to see the eagle in person someday.

I am so glad they rescued the eagle from the Graf Spee. In my opinion they should clean the eagle if there is going to be any long term damage.

I am surprised how nice the eagle looks.
                    Regards,
                    Jody

Comment

Hello all from Spain, thanks a lot for pictures , for a Kriegsmarine collector as me this is a great moment. Here you have my best translation for 2nd document, I hope it is not too wrong.

Regards. Eduardo

Legation of Germany Montevideo, January 3 of 1940

Sir Miguel Cóppola
                      Yaguaré 2063 Street
                      Present

Of my very high consideration:

Is with true pleasing that I contact through these lines to you, in order to officially reiterate our sincere and more expressive gratefulness by the works of repair made in the military german ship “Admiral Graf Spee” during its permanence in the port of Montevideo.

What you, and the personnel under your orders has made in those brief days, has been an extraordinary task, being it thus also understood by the ship’s officiality that expressed their gratefulness to me by the dedication, the interest and the perfect work and constant that you put in the performance of a work of as much responsibility.

I can assure to you that we will never forget what you have done in those few hours that you had, as also we will remember always with satisfaction, your unequivocal samples of affection towards Germany demonstrated so many times in that opportunity.

Accept then my warm congratulations by the things made and my more intimate recognition for what you have done for my mother country.

I reiterate to you my more high and distinguished consideration and affection.
                      Last edited by John R.; 10-17-2014, 08:29 AM.
                      Collector of Kriegsmarine and Küstenartillerie items

Regards
                      Eduardo

Collecting Kriegsmarine !!!: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=725610

sigpic "Deutsche Kriegsmarine"

Comment

building

Rob,

Same building as in the newspaper photo today, same angle. You can see Graf Spee anchor to the front left, its shank, eye and chain sticking out of its memorial. John
                        Attached Files

Comment

causeway

Rob,

The people in your photo are on a causeway/breaker that protects the harbor from waves coming from the east, they were waiting to see the big battle that never happened after the ship departed. I do not blame them, I would have been there too.

This is a photo of that same causeway, but looking the other way, out to sea, while in the newspaper, the photographer is up on a structure at the seaward end of the causeway shooting back into the port.

John
                          Attached Files

Comment

Hola,

Sus fotos son muy preciosas.

Vivo en Porto Alegre - Brasil... muy cercano de Montevideo ... de cualquier hora que combinemos un almuerzo con uno asado y cervezas Norteña.

Saludos,

Ricardo.

"Thank you Santiago. Its photos are very nices. I live in Porto Alegre - Brazil... close from there... any hour we combine a lunch with one baked and Norteña beers".
                            Last edited by John R.; 10-17-2014, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Heckadler

By the way, in German that is the Graf Spee's "Heckadler" or "Hoheitsadler" (national eagle) which was located at the stern of the ship. She was the only KM warship to go to war with it, as they were removed from the others.

I wonder if the bow emblem will be recovered now?

John
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by John R.; 02-15-2006, 11:32 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X