Emedals - Medalbook

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Those Plaid or Checkered Kriegsmarine Shirts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those Plaid or Checkered Kriegsmarine Shirts...

The plaid or checkered shirts worn by various Kriegsmarine men during WWII are probably best known because of the movie Das Boot. As a result they are often attributed to U-Boot crews, but they were also worn by other units, as demonstrated by officers of the 4. Schnellbootflotille seen below.

So what was the significance of these shirts, and was there a particular color scheme that was primarily worn?

Were they just a fashion statement of the time that was tolerated by the senior officers, or were they perhaps a cultural representation like the Bavarian Trachten shirts worn by men from Southern Germany?
    Attached Files

Nobody has information or an opinion?

Comment

Good question

Good question

Comment

IMO they were civilian shirts, so there was no specific rule or model for their use
        Collector of Kriegsmarine and Küstenartillerie items

Regards
        Eduardo

Collecting Kriegsmarine !!!: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=725610

sigpic "Deutsche Kriegsmarine"

Comment

That is a good question (and I have no answers).

But is there any other evidence that anyone other than U-Boat crews wore such shirts on duty? That one photo of the S-Boat crew is interesting but I notice that every one of them is wearing non-standard clothing and they're in very casual poses so perhaps they were just horsing around for a photo?

I would expect that the U-Boat crews in their invisible pressure-cookers below the sea could get away with a lot more indiscretion in their uniforms?

Best regards,
          ---Norm

Comment

I've been curious about these since seeing Das Boot for the first time. I wish I had asked Horst Bredow about them before he passed away, but I never remember to when I was in Cuxhaven.

As you said Eduardo, they were civilian shirts, but I am curious if there is some sort of story or other reason behind why they were worn and tolerated. It could be nothing, but I still wonder.

Comment

I am sure I read somewhere that those shirts were official issued by the KM. Will go trough my books to see where it was.

One reason why such shirts could maybe ! be issued is that for washing of the standard white shirts there was no possibility (U-Boats and other smaller vessels)

Regards
              Christian

Comment

Originally posted by compressore View Post
                I am sure I read somewhere that those shirts were official issued by the KM.
                Correct - some marked ones were found 10+ years ago. I was able to get 2, and sold them quickly (one via Collectors Guild).

Comment

Originally posted by Gran Sasso View Post
                  Correct - some marked ones were found 10+ years ago. I was able to get 2, and sold them quickly (one via Collectors Guild).

I also saw one sell on Germany Ebay about 8 years ago that had the red thread embroidered into it with the sailor's name and/or serial number. I that what you mean by being "marked" Patrick? Or did they actually have the KM eagle stamp?

Comment

Found it:
                    Schlicht/Angolia, Kriegsmarine

Rough translation form German:

"16.09.1941 the wear of colored and or plaited shirts is permitted, but with a white collar for officers and senior NCO's....."

than later in the war

"with regulation 14.06.1944 colored shirts could be distributed to senior NCO's instead of white shirts.."
                    Distributed means officially in my opinion."

Would love to see the regulation in the original German wording to verify.

I saw some pics were soldiers wearing the same shirt color and pattern...which indicates to me that they were shopping together...or the shirts were officially given out.

Regards
                    Christian

Comment

Thank you for that information Christian!

Originally posted by compressore View Post
                      I saw some pics were soldiers wearing the same shirt color and pattern...which indicates to me that they were shopping together...or the shirts were officially given out.

Here is another shot of the same 4. S-Flotille officers and it seems to support your observation. Ob.Ltn.z.S. Meyer, Müller, and Günther all seem to be wearing the same style plaid shirt. Only Ob.Ltn.z.S. Wilcke is wearing a lighter pattern.

Although this picture was taken prior to the regulation change you quoted from 14.06.44, they did not seem to care about making sure the collars were white.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by WWIIBuff; 11-05-2015, 12:55 PM.

Comment

nice pic !

Originally posted by WWIIBuff View Post
                        .. all seem to be wearing the same style plaid shirt. Only Ob.Ltn.z.S. Wilcke is wearing a lighter pattern.

Although this picture was taken prior to the regulation change you quoted from 14.06.44, they did not seem to care about making sure the collars were white.
                        Hi,
                        nice picture. The same shirts are IMO not a coincidence. There is a also nice pic in Mallmann-Showell's Kriegsmarine book with an officer and a NCO drinking coffee. Both wearing exact the same shirt.
                        No white collar ? I am not surprised as regulations were handled "a bit" loose on smaller vessels.

BTW, what are those stripes on the overseas cap ?
                        Last edited by compressore; 11-05-2015, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WWIIBuff View Post
                          I also saw one sell on Germany Ebay about 8 years ago that had the red thread embroidered into it with the sailor's name and/or serial number. I that what you mean by being "marked" Patrick? Or did they actually have the KM eagle stamp?
                          Yes, marked in red / purple ink, eagle over M, plus some numbers.

Comment

I am going to keep my eyes open for other picture showing the shirts being worn by other units in the KM, so hopefully I will have something to add in the future.

I am just guessing, but I think the stripes on Wilcke's overseas cap are the rank stripes worn on the paratrooper jump smock. I don't know anything about FJ items, but if that is the rank insignia for the Luftwaffe equivalent of a KM Ob.Ltn.z.S., then it would make sense. Anyone else know?

Comment

Here's a thread I once initiated based on an item currently in my collection FYI:
                              http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...light=KM+shirt

-Ray-
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X