EdelweissAntique

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kriegsmarine personal box (or ditty box)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kriegsmarine personal box (or ditty box)

Hi: Au revoir:,
    After a very long absence (: Ennuyé I come to present you my last acquisition. It is about a box has personal effects of the kriegsmarine. These boxes were appreciated by the submariners for their small size. They put it personal objects (documents, knives and forks(ranges) etc.). These boxes are not easy to find especially in this state. The originality of this one is that it would have belonged to a submariner. I let you see the photos which will be more explicit : RÉ:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The iron rounding to padlock the box unfortunately was to saw. Why? We can imagine everything (a thief, died of the soldier etc.).
    Box found to Lorient on the base of submarine. However I am not sure that the writing Lorient is original.
    Last edited by captain cookies; 07-03-2015, 04:44 PM.

nice box you have! Had some work as you said, but still in nice condition.

this WW1 postcard shows them "in use".
    Attached Files

Comment

Nice, So you were able to track down and confirm that this Busse Sailor was in the Submarine branch of the Kriegsmarine?

Very nice indeed.

Regards,
      JustinG

Comment

Re,
        Thanks for your reactions.
        I have not made searches on this sailor yet. Nevertheless I think that this sailor did not make a commitment in the submarine branch but was affected to it later (what explains U added briefly on the identification plate).
        Thesis lifted in particular on this site:

http://www.passionmilitaria.com/t829...oat-de-lorient

Kind regards, XC

Comment

This is not a ditty box although often mistaken for one.

It is a shoeshine kit box.

I have discussed this before here:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ight=shoeshine

John

Comment

unpractical ?

Hi John,

I have seen this discussion but I wonder why a shoe-polish kit should be stored in such a "bulky" box instead of a more small bag ?
            And than fixed outside on the seabag ? Very unpractical, at least in my opinion. Get stucked everywhere in transport.
            Are there period photos ?

Regards
            Christian

Comment

Hello, this one is a Putzkasten, a utensil box, included in the soldbuch (entry number 18 for the feldgrau uniform and 43 for the blue) as part of the issue equipment provided to junior NCOs and enlisted men to accommodate small utensils, also as John said the shoe cleaning materials.
              Last edited by km-spain; 07-05-2015, 03:15 AM.
              Collector of Kriegsmarine and Küstenartillerie items

Regards
              Eduardo

Collecting Kriegsmarine !!!: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=725610

sigpic "Deutsche Kriegsmarine"

Comment

Hello mister Robinson,
                I think that you are mistaken. I said well personal box. Free in the sailor to put that he wants inside ( included shoe polish). It falls well I am going to be able to show him to you by a visual proof.
                Below dumped by objects of the everyday life of the submarine u-534 refloated and exposed to Bremont in England (notice the contents of the upper right ditty cubicle):

[IMG][/IMG]

And the iron hook serves well to put it a padlock.
                I remind you that km was rather overliberal at the level of the regulation. We can say thus never with certainty what was inside.
                Finally it is only my opinion.
                Thank you for your reactions.

Comment

So officially used as "Putzkasten" and inoffically as storage for small personal items.
                  This explanation makes very much sense.
                  And I love this foto...more of those? Where it is exhibited?
                  Regards
                  Christian

Comment

Hello,
                    excuse I the exhibition is situated in Birkenhead:

http://sous.marins.musees.free.fr/in...bretagne/u-534

Comment

Of course a sailor could stow what he wanted in such boxes, but as I mentioned, it is documented within a photo on pages 142 and 143 of Showell's book.

I have the book but not with me right now. Sometime in the future I will scan the page.

John

Comment

The point being made is not what this box was used as by a particular sailor, but what it was issued as by the KM.

John

Comment

Originally posted by John Robinson View Post
                          Of course a sailor could stow what he wanted in such boxes, but as I mentioned, it is documented within a photo on pages 142 and 143 of Showell's book.

I have the book but not with me right now. Sometime in the future I will scan the page.

John
                          Here it is.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Norm.

Comment

Hi,
                              As mentioned in a book in French as a personal box. I'll have you found the pages. So who to believe ? ? I think the best and make their own opinion with the help of these. Thank you for sharing.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X