Officer Visor Hat Pick-up at the SoS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Officer Visor Hat Pick-up at the SoS

I don't collect visor hats. I really don't, but I always wanted a Kriegsmarine Officer Visor Hat with the 'scrambled eggs' on the visor, as much (or more!) as a Waffen SS Officer Visor hat.
    With money burning a hole in my pocket, I was cruising the show on Saturday, just before everyone could do their 'abandon ship drill' at 1500. I stopped by a table that I had bought a 1934 k date 98K bayonet at the day before and asked the nice man what he could do in terms of lowering the price on a Korvetten Kapitan visor hat that he had on his table.
    We cut a deal and I brought it home.
    I tried to get as many good shots as I could, but my photographic skills are non-existent!
    Take a gander.
    I had a few people check it out and they all felt that it was a good 'un. No mothing that I could find. The sweat band is all intact and still supple. The sweat diamond is also intact.
    Thanx,
    Tim
    Attached Files
    Last edited by TP Alexander; 03-01-2015, 12:55 AM.

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

yep! Looks good

Comment

Base is good.
                  Re applied insignia.
                  Strange visor with plastic material.

Show us the visor down side.
                  Ohne Seemacht, keine Weltmacht !

Collection : http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=522068

Always interested by Kriegsmarine headgear, uniform and U-Boot related items.

Comment

Tim, agree with Michel, the body of the cap looks good for sure, but with these pictures I don't feel very confortable with the visor
                    Collector of Kriegsmarine and Küstenartillerie items

Regards
                    Eduardo

Collecting Kriegsmarine !!!: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=725610

sigpic "Deutsche Kriegsmarine"

Comment

I have read somewhere here on WAF a discussion about a war time visor cap with a sort of hard plastic rim I had always the assumption that these were post-war creations but it turns out to be not,......

In this case it seems that the rim has been made from "soft" plastic which is of course a bad sign but maybe it's the photo hows fooling me

Comment

double post sorry

Comment

Holy crap! My apologies, I didn't even consider the edge being in plastic, but yep, it sure looks like it might be. Odd the guts of the cap are straight up correct, but I'm not good with a plastic rim on the visor.

Comment

Everything looks good but before even reading any other comments from the regular muscle here that plastic visor edging immediately jumps out at you with concerns?

-Ray-

Comment

Excuse me, I'm sorry. I was a little burnt out last night after my 2 days at the show and a 4 hour drive home.
                              I had the hat looked at by Brian Maderer (hope I spelled it right!) at the suggestion of Joe Pankowski. Brian made mention of that plastic edging on the leading edge of the visor bill right away. He was of the opinion that it had been applied post-war because of the tendency of the regular oil-cloth material to split and fall apart. He suggested that I could look for a lower ranked visor hat that had the material still intact and strip it off to apply to this hat. I asked him if he had any concerns other then that and he said no.

48RMC said:
                              "I have read somewhere here on WAF a discussion about a war time visor cap with a sort of hard plastic rim I had always the assumption that these were post-war creations but it turns out to be not,......"
                              In regard to this, I also showed the hat to Bob Hritz. He was of the opinion that we don't know everything about wartime production and material and that there could well be other applied pieces to the rim of the visor bill and felt that this was some kind of period plastic-like substitute.

I am happy with the hat and unless I can somehow miraculously find an NCO visor hat that is wrecked except for the oil cloth edging, I will leave the hat as it is. I don't wish to wreck another hat for the cosmetic purpose of possibly improving this one. As mentioned before, I am a terrible photographer and the only photos that anyone would publish would be if I got exclusive shots of Godzilla attacking Tokyo. That being said, I found my tripod and my camera will accept that attachment, so if anyone would like me to try and get some shots of anything that would help, I will gather all the light that I can, in our present snowstorm, and get some shots done of it. I will be at the Glendale Hts., IL. show with it in two weeks if anyone is around that wants to do a "hands on".
                              Thanx,
                              Tim
                              Last edited by TP Alexander; 03-01-2015, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 5 users online. 0 members and 5 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X