Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kriegsmarine level instrument sold on e-stand

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...t=kriegsmarine

any comments on this eagle and box plate please?
    KM boxed level instrument2.jpg

KM boxed level instrument1.jpg

KM kriegsmarine level instrument

[ATTACH]2755769[/ATTACH]

Comment

I've been a surveyor for years and worked with these instruments a lot. I am curious to see what these were used for within the Kriegsmarine. I can imagine Pioniere would use these to level roads or align bridges from riverbank to riverbank. Can't say anything on originality unfortunately but it looks interesting to me since I've worked so much with these. Hope to find out here in this thread what the Kriegsmarine used this for (not on ships or any other vessels for sure since these need to stand 100% stable and completely waterlevel to work properly with).

Comment

I did not see any KM markings on the wooden box?

The instrument is dated 1943, so normally the manufactor should have used his code crj (introduced in 1940) instead of his full name?

I did not see the full code nor the markings of the manufactor on the level instrument itself?

Does anyone has a similar object in his collection for comparison?

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Banziger View Post
          I've been a surveyor for years and worked with these instruments a lot. I am curious to see what these were used for within the Kriegsmarine. I can imagine Pioniere would use these to level roads or align bridges from riverbank to riverbank. Can't say anything on originality unfortunately but it looks interesting to me since I've worked so much with these. Hope to find out here in this thread what the Kriegsmarine used this for (not on ships or any other vessels for sure since these need to stand 100% stable and completely waterlevel to work properly with).
          maybe for drydock purposes? or on shipyards repairs and newbuilding ?

Comment

Originally posted by berkenkruis View Post
            maybe for drydock purposes? or on shipyards repairs and newbuilding ?
            There one needs a theodolite because of vertical angles (actually worked in some drydocks myself for some projects).

Hope experts on period made instruments can comment in this thread. Looking forward to learn more about original period made instruments

Comment

I think the gray paint and KM engraving are post war. On the 1943 equipment I expect the nameplate with the producer code , and the engraving should be made much more accurately. It is also worth noting that the brass screws have a unscrewing traces. But these are only my observations and opinions.

Regards
              Jakub

Comment

I did not see the name of the manufactor nor the serial number on the instrument, so I tend to confirm Dr. Vet his statement.

Comment

I cannot speak to the box, but the eagle, markings and color are correct for Zeiss Kriegsmarine instruments produced in 1943. (page 131, Fernglasser und Fernrohre, Hans Seeger)

Comment

can it be that manufacturer's codes were applied to the newly produced equipment, and this is one of the pieces which were in the shipyard (or wherever else) from before?

So, I guess they could just stamp and paint the piece.

I am not an expert for instruments, but that sounds possible to me. I also like the eagle.

Comment

Hello,
                      I found the same type, whithout the KM eagle, out of the buildings where
                      the OT oberbauleitung was in my home town (Cherbourg).
                      Sorry I have troubles to upload pics to this thread, I'm with you as soon as I succeed doing that !
                      Nice period item to my knowledge !
                      Cheers, Pierre

Comment

hello coloprimus: I am curious to see what markings and or serial number your instrument has!

Comment

Hello,
                          here is a link to that picture
                          http://i67.servimg.com/u/f67/11/17/25/53/dscn2513.jpg
                          Hope it works !
                          Cheers, Pierre

Comment

My piece with other kind of markings. The box has too an eagle.
                            Attached Files

Comment

KM Kriegsmarine level instrument

Originally posted by 11C View Post
                              I cannot speak to the box, but the eagle, markings and color are correct for Zeiss Kriegsmarine instruments produced in 1943. (page 131, Fernglasser und Fernrohre, Hans Seeger)
                              What does a ZEISS eagle on a OTTO FENNEL instrument?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X