This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Folks,

I saved some pics from long ago on my HDD and now have the opportunity to show them for reference. Any comments will be welcome and no I don't own this piece. It came up on Ebay.de a few years back and I thought it cool so I saved the pics.

Cheers
    JustinC

Comment

Justin, that one is IMO a Russian copy, good for fakes reference
      Collector of Kriegsmarine and Küstenartillerie items

Regards
      Eduardo

Collecting Kriegsmarine !!!: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=725610

sigpic "Deutsche Kriegsmarine"

Comment

Could you elaborate on why this one is bad in your opinion? It looks like a normal German sextant made by Plath, are you saying the KM stampings are fake or that the entire sextant is a fake?

Looks pretty close to a second pattern KM sextant to me.

John

Comment

Originally posted by John Robinson View Post
          Could you elaborate on why this one is bad in your opinion? It looks like a normal German sextant made by Plath, are you saying the KM stampings are fake or that the entire sextant is a fake?

Looks pretty close to a second pattern KM sextant to me.

John
          Hi Guys,

I didn't even know they faked these things, nothing is scared anymore if they do!! crazy stuff!!

Best wishes
          JustinC

Comment

Originally posted by John Robinson View Post
            I had these in my files, once posted by member KM-Spain. Maybe he will expand on these a bit.

First is a first pattern in bronze.
            w
            Last edited by Svante; 05-09-2012, 04:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by km-spain View Post
              Justin, that one is IMO a Russian copy, good for fakes reference
              The ocular of this sextant is definitely Russian, I don't like the case as well, but the sextant it self could be a good KM Plath.
              But not a good reference indeed!

Comment

Thanks for pointing out the ocular problem and the box. The term is actually "telescope" but I know what you are talking about. I agree with you, not German IMO when comparing to other posted German sextants.

I think the rest of the sextant is period though.

John

Comment

Hello,

have you ever seen an KM sextant with a serial number lower than this?

collani
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hello, yes mine ... 53 ... nice picture
                    Attached Files

Regards
                    Eduardo

Collecting Kriegsmarine !!!: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=725610

Comment

Eduardo, nice ace from the sleeve.
                      That photo up there could be Willenbrock, captain of U-96?
                      I like it ;-)

Comment

Hello,

here is a photo of the KM sextant from my collection. But with no such a low registration number then yours, Eduardo
                        There are two numbers on it, the serial number "22969" and the KM registration number "7382".

regards,

collani
                        Attached Files

Comment

Nice second pattern Collani, some day I will look for one for me

Regards
                          Eduardo

Comment

The first number is a serial number for the sextants arc arm and other is for the sextant itself.

I am not sure what the system was for the serial numbers of the sextant. It is my guess the sextants were not consecutive from 1 to XXXX over the war. Instead, I think they might have restarted at the beginning of the fiscal or calendar year or something else.

In other words, a low first pattern number might be for 1938 and not for 1933 or 1935 if you see what I am saying.

John

Comment

Hi Gents...thought I'd bump this thread back up with this one. Sorry, it's the only pic I've got but opinions appreciated.

Also while I'm posting, this set's available too.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Looks like a very nice set to me. I really like the navigational tools on the right. Dividers and a type of protractor for plotting and advancing the parts of the navigational triangle plus normal positional plots on a chart.

Not sure I have seen this before so that is great.

Who is the maker of the sextant?

John

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X