This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sextant

Thought I would start a new thread about sextants. Generally speaking, there are two types, the earlier type had more internal webbing than the later types.

Here is my early type aluminum model.

John
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

and a stopwatch (not part of a grouping) that would have been needed for navigation. The watch runs fairly smoothly but IMO, best not to be using them very often after all these days. The internal mechanism is very delicate and the parts can easily break. At that point, you will find it almost impossible to repair.

John
      Attached Files

Comment

I had one couple of years ago and sold it, you have a very nice one there

Andy

Comment

Thanks Andy. Michel knows a lot about these sextants and has owned a number over the years. Maybe he will post here.

John

Comment

I,ll should check if i have some old pictures left on my old sextant, if i find them i,ll post them

Andy

Comment

Great idea for a thread John. I've been wanting to add one of these to my collection but do not know anything about them, so I look forward to learning here.

That's a very nice example you started things off with.

Comment

Originally posted by WWIIBuff View Post
                Great idea for a thread John. I've been wanting to add one of these to my collection but do not know anything about them, so I look forward to learning here.
                Same here...I've always been put off by those Russian copies.

Comment

Hi Guys,
                  I know nothing about these pieces but have saved detailed pics of several that have come up for sale over the years that when I get a chance will upload for reference and for further development of the thread.

Merry Christmas to all!

Best wishes
                  JustinC

Comment

The first pattern or type of these sextants were either bronze or alumnium.

John

Comment

Thank you John for showing us your goodies i'm also interested in a Km sextant but i have not enough knowledge about this subject to buy such a nice specimen like yours Like to see more examples thanks in advance guys,
                      Cheerio Christian

Comment

I had these in my files, once posted by member KM-Spain. Maybe he will expand on these a bit.

First is a first pattern in bronze.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Next is a second pattern, I think in aluminum. Note that the internal webbing on the sextant is less than on the first pattern.

Also from KM-Spain.
                          Attached Files

Comment

A couple threads that pertain are on GMIC:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/63...h__1#entry3495

Also Torpedo Los has a section on them with a couple photos.

John

Comment

Very nice thread with a superb example being shown. Love it.

Best Regards,
                              JustinG

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X