This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fake eagle KM kriegsmarine on boatswain whistle

this well know fake, the round headed eagle (no ear, no eye, no beak) presented on a boatswain whistle on catawiki

I saw this fake eagle popping up since 1995-2000, produced in eastern Europe, applyed on several fake KM items such as
    - soft metal items, such as copper clocks, copper gauges, ships bull eyes, ...
    - soft wooden items such as deck shoes, shoe-lift (Stiefelknecht), block plane, ...

At that time I had the above mentioned items in my collection, proud like a peacock, until I discoverd that is was strange that all these different manufactors used a very similar eagle pattern, then I took a magnifying glass and the next day I stood at the house of the dealer that sold me these fakes!

So happy collection, and don't make the same mistakes as I did in my younger days

catawiki fake eagle on whistle.jpg
    Last edited by glaser; 01-24-2015, 07:22 AM. Reason: typing error

Comment

another type of fake eagle KM kriegsmarine on boatswain whistle Pfeife

again offered on catawiki, seller is "MilitariaShop"
      catawiki Pfeife copy.jpg

catawiki Pfeife copy2.jpg

Comment

Found this pfeife with rope on the fleamarket last week.
        Is it a good one?
        Attached Files

Comment

Nobody can help me?

Comment

Bjorn,
            those are used until today in unchanged shape....not possible to say if not with good provenance or maybe typical carrying sling...not the case here....

Comment

Exactly. This thread is about as good as it gets to identify a bosun pipe but if not with great provenance (with or without markings), it is up to the collector. John

Comment

Hi,
                I know were the one from HMS Hood is.
                Mark

Comment

Originally posted by merdock View Post
                  Hi,
                  I know were the one from HMS Hood is.
                  Mark
                  Only three sailors survived form HMS HOOD on that dramatic 24 mei 1941, so the bosun's whistle(s) of HMS HOOD rest at the bottom of the sea I guess.

Comment

Hi,
                    The pipe is documented he left it at home before the fatal vogue he went down with her, name was Smith,family live local to me.
                    Mark

Comment

Hi,
                      The pipe is documented he left it at home before the fatal vogue he went down with her, name was Smith,family live local to me.
                      Mark
                      Nice if you could take a few shots of it and post here. John

Comment

Hi,
                        Mark
                        Mark

THE bosun whistle of the HMS Hood was government property, it was part of the items "hand over take over" of personnel on duty such as the small calibre gun. Two options, Mr Smith had stolen THE bosun's whistly (less probably) or he had bought himself A personal whistly in a shop on land (most probably). The bosun pipe were and are still very popular amongst sailers and tourists, especially when sailors go on land they used it as little gift to impress the local female youth! Friends and family find relics and start a story about it ... This is just my theory of course and please do come up with the documentation about the pipe. Mr Smith died on active duty so we will never know his story, unless the documentation was written by him?

Comment

Bundsmarine not KM boatswain Pfiefe whistlemarked BUND

[ATTACH]3519550[/ATTACH]

Comment

About 25 years ago, around 1990, a full box of these pfeife 's where found in a depot on the Antwerp harbour.

((The Antwerp harbour has seen a lot of great finds over the past .
                            The depot full off over 10.000 Africa-corps helmets in the 70's ( 25 US cents each in 79 ... ) , Thousands of Italian colonial helmets really 90's ... 99% of the white / bleu KM and the bleu / red sleeve specialty patches on the world marked come originally from here in Belgium. They where sold in original bundles of 10 or more for the actual price of one at a shop in Brussels until 1990 ... ))

The box, with a few hundred whistles ,was undeniable of german origin ( typical manufacture and stamps; but not one of these pfeife's where marked.

I had a buckle full of them ... yes, really a real physical buckle full for 100 bfr each ( 3US $) :-)

Unfortunately, I have no pictures .

Some of the older Belgian or Dutch collectors might remember these days ?
                            The dealer / Collector who made the discovery and resold these whistles was from the city of "Geel" ... ?

So far I never seen such KM stamped item I absolutely trusted to be wartime .

I would need to obtain it from the family in person or ... Better ... Find it on a German wreck !
                            I did find a pfeife on a German WWI ( battle of Jutland) wreck and it was ... unmarked ... :-(

Marc

Comment

Originally posted by Trance_Eyes View Post
                              Hi Collectors,

Interesting pic of a pfeife in wear, if only we had closeup shots but still nice never the less.

Season greetings and keep warm to all the Northerners, to the Southerns crack out the sun screen and a cold tinny and enjoy!!

Best Wishes and Kindest Regards from Sunny Australia.

JustinC
                              Hi,

Flottentender Jagd portrait photo with pfeife in wear.
                              He is also wearing an ordinary whistle on a cord as well.

Cheers,
                              Larry
                              Attached Files

Comment

What I hope is a textbook example!

I don't often get to contribute much to WAF, but this time I think I can: below are pictures of my grandfather's bosun's pipe, which I can almost guarantee is a Kriegsmarine original item. I can guarantee that it's at least 30 years old as I remember seeing it as a kid (and he's been dead for 25 years!). I can't see him having gone and gotten one aftermarket!

This pipe is unmarked, and has a pretty heavy-duty (and old) ring for its (unfortunately missing) lanyard. The pipe appears to be a plated brass. It looks like there's an odd drip of solder or something on the bowl; I'm not sure if this was accidental or if it was somehow used to "tune" the pipe?

My grandfather served on the Konigsberg and later the Admiral Scheer before moving to a physical activity trainer (and later, a frogman in training before the end of the war cut that career path short!). So, it's possible that this pipe came from the Konigsberg or Scheer, unless it was possible for ground-based Kriegsmarine staff to be issued such a pipe (seems like it would be an odd accessory for a ground-based role, but correct me if I'm wrong).

Let me know what you guys think!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X