Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And now for some information all be it non German so I'm not sure if the same traditions stood for the German Navy but i thought this interesting information anyhow on the use, the application and the instructions of the whistle. Perhaps someone in the know could elaborate on the German traditions?
    Attached Files

Comment

And very intersetingly the pitch of each call laid out for you to practice at home

Once again if anyone has any relevant information, pictures or so on please feel free to add it to this thread.

Cheers
      JustinC
      Attached Files

Comment

Here is the link that was down yesterday as a reference -

http://www.atlantik-pirat.com/images/bosincol.11.png

Comment

Hi Guys, still researching these little babies and think I have come up with a text book example of an original that can be 100% authenticated as an excellent stamped example.

For reference and as always comments are welcomed!

Regards

JustinC
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Trance_Eyes View Post
            Hi Guys,
            well today I recieved the pipe so I have compiled a few much clearer pics for discussion.

Firstly let me give you my 1st impressions. On opening the package I found a nice pipe that does infact look pretty clean, no real evidence of wear or tear. Saying this though looking closely at the marking I am infact impressed just how sharp and clear it actually is and it does not appear to have been made by a backyard forger or the like. Infact I'd say that it is of the quality of a good manufacturer whom ever that maybe. Now I'll drop a few pics with some remarks so we can see clearly construction techniques.

Firstly lets have a close look at that stamp, from a little bit of research we can see that the KM did have this format of lettering on their acceptance stamp.
            Please see the below reference and take note of no 7, Not identical but very similar.
            I found this Thread
            and want to show you my new Pipe
            And im happy that the Mark of the Pipe is listed in Post Number 17
            But original or not i dont know
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi kfs,

Thanks for the pictures of your pfeife!
              Very interesting markings and yet another undetermined example with ?????

Still another example to the pile and and another reference for the future.

Cheers
              JustinC

Comment

Here's a modern day replica...an "Authentic official Royal Naval pattern Brass Bosun's Call" as manufactured and sold by Nauticalia Ltd. in England. I found this at a local gun show last week. The modern day copies are definitely out there...and nice ones too which could be altered to look like wartime KM pipes, so buyer beware! This thread will be most helpful to other collectors. Thanks to Justin for starting it.

John
                Attached Files

Comment

Very interesting thread and lots to learn here! Thanks for starting about these Pfeife!

Comment

Just stumbled on this topic, very good and informative!

Trance Eyes love your exmaple with the white cord. Not the one with the blue cord (and the cord itself) I doubt it's originality. The marking on the one of KFS is not very nice, I really don't like it.

JWBurchell, thanks for posting that one, the source of modern day "lookalikes".

I think this is one of the hardest items to prove originality, but I think there are a few points on which we can illiminate fakes.

from the daugther of the vet, there is even a photo of him holding it, I'm "prommised" to get the photo but no luck so far. IMHO a nice original.

here are two more common examples;

the most obvious feature, the mouth piece, compared to the picture above.

obvious diferences I say, the mouthpiece should be long and not short.
                    IMHO, the first one is a good period piece
                    nr2: FAKE
                    nr3: doubtfull

your opinions?

Comment

Here is mine that i just received from Peter at Stockholm Military Antiques, it came from a family that had a KM messdress, and a KM grade 2 marksmens lanyard.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Very nice one Andy.

John

Comment

I like it too!

Comment

Originally posted by John Robinson View Post
                            Mine, from a Kreta Vet.

John
                            Hmmmm,
                            John,
                            Why does that look so familiar?

best
                            Hank
                            Unless it was nighttime, or the weather was bad, and you were running out of gas - then it was a sweaty nightmare, like a monkey f*ing a skunk.
                            ~ Dan Hampton, Viper Pilot

Comment

Darn Hank, you are making me feel bad.

John

Comment

Originally posted by John Robinson View Post
                                Darn Hank, you are making me feel bad.

John
                                Ha, no need for that amigo!

BTW, happy birthday. 236 years old!

Hank
                                Unless it was nighttime, or the weather was bad, and you were running out of gas - then it was a sweaty nightmare, like a monkey f*ing a skunk.
                                ~ Dan Hampton, Viper Pilot

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X