Latest Marine tallies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latest Marine tallies

Here are the latest RM and KM tallies that are waiting to be framed. Nothing flashy but I'm happy with them.
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Beautiful collection! I look forward to seeing your framed display.

One idea I've toyed with is sewing 2 loops of wool thread 45 degrees to one another on each side of a cloth-covered backing and looping the ends of the tally into them the same way they would have been looped at the back of a Matrosenmuetze. Wouldn't be able to put many in the same frame but might look quite nice with the ends fluttering down...

Best regards,
      ---Norm

Comment

Thanks Norm! Yes, sounds like an interesting idea for a display.

So far mine is a 50x60 cm frame with narrow black alu edges and black acid free carton behind. These here are going into a second one of those.

I'll try to get a shot of the first one but it's getting dark here and impossible to use a flash so let's see.

Comment

Hi Frank,

Very nice collection mate... Great to have a nice little community of Tally collectors here, its a real credit to all of us!!

Thanks for sharing and keep on collecting my friend!!!

Best wishes

JustinC

Comment

Agreed, nice collection Frank. Especially the Admiral Scheer at the bottom..

KR...Peter

Comment

I like it. Here's what I found worked in my case

Very nice Frank.
              I like it.

I have found a nice way to mount these tallies.
              I placed the tallies inside the frame on the glass surface. The tally ends were loosely hanging over. the edge of the frame.
              The
              blue dye free (don't know, but the curator for one of the museums here swore that there was no leaching of color from this) I made sure to give 1/4" clearance on the sides as to not pin the tally silk material against the frame. Then I gently folded over the free ends of the tallies and then put acid free foam to help hold the tallies and pin them to the glass. It took some time to figure this out, but I think I did a good job.
              Here's the final from my set.

Regards,
              JustinG
              Attached Files

Comment

BTW. This took me about 4 hours to initially get this to look this good. I know that one of the tallies is slightly askew. But, I will perhaps work on straightening when I regain my patience.

I look forward to seeing your layout and that display with eagerness.

I too am glad that there has been an interest and a "re-birth" to the world of Muetzenband/tally collecting.

Regards,
                JustinG

Comment

Very nice display. Shows talent and patience.

Comment

Wanted to post the frames earlier on but turned out to be very difficult to shoot through the glass. Anyway, have rearranged one of the frames lately and here it is before getting behind glass.

Nothing flashy again but the four named Marineschules are in place and getting there with the rest of the Schules.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Great collection, Frank.
                      Very interesting to see the schools together -- makes it a useful historical reference at the same time as an addictive collection!

Best regards,
                      ---Norm

Comment

Very nice mounting job my friend.
                        Some beauties you have.

Coming along splendidly.

Regards,
                        JustinG

Comment

Reorganized the above frame today so now it's Schule only.

Missed a couple of nice ones lately but otherwise it's coming along nicely.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Oh btw JustinG I forgot. Basically I'm using the same frame as you've posted, just turned 90 degrees.

Found some black acidfree carton in a hobbyshop and the tallies are mounted on that and kept in place by the backplate. It's a lot of work to keep everything together but it looks nice I believe and is done wo damage to the tallies by glue, nails, tape etc.

Comment

It's looking spectacular. Time well spent because it looks great!

Regards,
                              JustinG

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X