Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could I please get opinions on the following lanyard. Number of knots is excessive.
    Thank you.
    http://postimg.org/gallery/bwzi3nxc/

Comment

Originally posted by Visor View Post
      Could I please get opinions on the following lanyard. Number of knots is excessive.
      Thank you.
      http://postimg.org/gallery/bwzi3nxc/

Very nice no red flags i love it if you ever want to get rid of it please let me know

Comment

Originally posted by 48RMC View Post
        Very nice no red flags i love it if you ever want to get rid of it please let me know

Do the extra knots not raise red flags? I thought 17 was the max. Could it be a post war lanyard with good shield?
        Last edited by Visor; 01-05-2015, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Do the extra knots not raise red flags? I thought 17 was the max. Could it be a post war lanyard with good shield?
          Hi Visor,

You're quite right. That's a cheap DDR 23-knot Schützenschnur with a KM shield applied. Those Schnurs sell on eBay for € 7,50. To add insult to injury the knot above the shield is wrong as well. The KM shields themselves are not uncommon (likely unused leftover stock) so it's easy to clap one on to a Schnur and pass it off as a "rare" Level 4 wartime Schützenschnur.

Best regards,
          ---Norm
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Norm F; 01-05-2015, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Norm F View Post
            Hi Visor,

You're quite right. That's a cheap DDR 23-knot Schützenschnur with a KM shield applied. Those Schnurs sell on eBay for € 7,50. To add insult to injury the knot above the shield is wrong as well. The KM shields themselves are not uncommon (likely unused leftover stock) so it's easy to clap one on to a Schnur and pass it off as a "rare" Level 4 wartime Schützenschnur.

Best regards,
            ---Norm
            Thank you Norm.

Comment

Thank you Norm.
              I am being told by the seller that the lanyard is a rare length. He also states the construction is ww2 not ddr. States this comes from a serious km collector. Also,says he tried a fibre burn test. Would anyone know what post war lanyards are made of?

Comment

This one is DDR, "Sofort Kaufen" 7,50 €
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Norm F; 01-08-2015, 09:16 PM.

Comment

again DDR "Sofort Kaufen 7,50 €"
                  Attached Files

Comment

another but much more expensive...12,50 €
                    Attached Files

Comment

Again, compare. Both 23 knots, blue felt backing and no Anhängsel. Not Kriegsmarine in my opinion.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Again, compare. Both 23 knots, blue felt backing and no Anhängsel. Not Kriegsmarine in my opinion.
                        I owe you a coke! Thank you, will pass along info. Really appreciate all the help.

Comment

Hi Visor,
                          That's what I wrote in the other forum, GDR. No doubt. If the seller resists to refund, ask him for his prove of "rare variant".
                          Regards
                          Christian

Comment

Originally posted by compressore View Post
                            Hi Visor,
                            That's what I wrote in the other forum, GDR. No doubt. If the seller resists to refund, ask him for his prove of "rare variant".
                            Regards
                            Christian
                            Refunded, but still for sale as a rare variant.

Comment

Aside from the Minesweeper and S-Boat badges, this Funkmaat is wearing a level 4 Schützenschnur which has 17 knots! Very odd, the Schützenschnur awards were discontinued in 1940 and the standard length was 14 knots. This portrait had to be after 1943 since he's wearing a 2nd pattern Schnellboot badge, but then again people could wear non-regulation items for portrait photos.

Only the second photo I've seen with a 17-knot Schützenschnur. Perhaps they were unofficial production later in the war, and were the predecessor to the Bundeswehr Schnuren? The photo doesn't appear fake...
                              Here's another rare photo of a 17-knot Schützenschnur in wear. Not only that, this Gefreiter is wearing it backwards, i.e. on his left side instead of his right!

(Added bonus: Shows the cloth Minesweeper badge in wear, forbidden by KM regulations after May 1, 1942.)

Best regards,
                              ---Norm
                              Attached Files

Comment

Here's something interesting. A blue/aluminum interwoven lanyard for a Geschützführer (Chief of Gun Crew) with what looks like the black shell Anhängsel. First time I've seen one of these complete.

Best regards,
                                ---Norm
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X