This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

only 13 knots

This example of a level 1 Schützenschnur just sold on Detlev Niemann's site for $183 (125 Euros). The construction isn't the best quality of either the lower button end or of the Eichel but I thought it was interesting because it looks like it's probably an original standard Navy issue wool construction yet has only 13 instead of 14 knots, and 3 instead of 4 knots in the smaller braid at the lower end.
    Best regards,
    ---Norm
    Attached Files

Comment

Intersting thread, I have a first class with doc I picked up quite a while ago mainly because I like the doc, away at the moment but will try to dig up some photos to post.

Out of interest what the going rate these days for the different classes, I note that detlev had a 1st for 125 Euro are the higher classes much more.

Also any difference in value / collectability between the wool and silk
      Regards, Rob
      Collecting Inerests Awards / Badges and Kriegsmarine

Comment

Originally posted by rhudspith View Post
        Intersting thread, I have a first class with doc I picked up quite a while ago mainly because I like the doc, away at the moment but will try to dig up some photos to post.

Out of interest what the going rate these days for the different classes, I note that detlev had a 1st for 125 Euro are the higher classes much more.

Also any difference in value / collectability between the wool and silk
        Hi Rob,

Yes, please post your schnur/document combo. Are they a grouping or separate items?

As far as value for KM lanyards, I think Detlev's prices are "the going rate" in that he seems to be the only one who can actually sell them. They're listed at higher prices on other sites but just sit there for ages since there's not a lot of interest in them for some reason. The levels 1 and 2 are seen pretty commonly, and there seem to be a lot of level 4 shields floating around, probably unawarded items, but my impression is that genuine gold acorns of Level 3 and 4 on awarded Schützenschnuren are rare. Don't forget they were only awarded from about 1935 to early 1940, since the Navy abandoned them during the war, and Navy guys didn't do a lot of rifle shooting after basic training. I believe the winged shells and torpedos were only around for a few months.

My impression is there's no difference between the wool and artificial silk in value, but the artificial silk is more likely to withstand the tests of time, and since they were private purchase there were probably more of them in manufacterer's leftover stock (my speculation). You would definitely pay a premium for the rare Anhängsel - i.e. winged shells or torpedos - but they're such a niche market that they still don't seem to sell. It's not clear that any of them were actually awarded. I've seen only the one lanyard with a torpedo Anhängsel for $1200 which needless to say hasn't sold.

My own interest stems from the fact that I'm looking for a level 2 to match what my father used to have when he was in the KM. But 'collectiblity' is in the eye of the collector!

Here's another private purchase level 2 that sold recently on Detlev's site. A good one but still wasn't quite a match for what I'm looking for.

Best regards,
        ---Norm
        Attached Files

Comment

Hi Norm,

Thanks for the reply, the pair were sold as a group and came together from Huss if my memory serves me correct. Will post some pics when I can but may be a while before I can do so.

Out of interest can you remember what the 2nd grade detlev sold for.
          Regards, Rob

Comment

Out of interest can you remember what the 2nd grade detlev sold for.
            Unfortunately I can't recall and didn't write it down.
            Cheers.
            ---Norm

Comment

Hi Norm,

Heres the Doc
              Attached Files
              Regards, Rob

Comment

trance eyes, I am green with envy and jealousy lol !!!

One day, thanks for sharing !

Frank

Comment

Another shooting doc but not quite sure what award this is for, any help appreciated
                  Attached Files
                  Regards, Rob

Comment

Another shooting doc but not quite sure what award this is for, any help appreciated
                    That's an interesting document from the Reichsmarine days before the Schützenschnur was introduced. I'm not sure if the KM Schützenschnur was introduced in 1935, or later in 1936 with the Heer and Luftwaffe lanyards, but at any rate back in the time of your document, I think the shooting award was an insignia worn on the sleeve.
                    I haven't seen any photos yet of Navy personnel with the sleeve insignia but this thread shows the Heer equivalent from that era.
                    http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...shooting+award
                    Best regards,
                    ---Norm

Comment

Hi Norm,

Thanks, would be nice if we could dig up a photo of it in wear
                      Regards, Rob

Comment

This is being sold as a "Uniform Schützenschnur Artillerie Anhänger ungetragen WK" on ebay. Not sure what to make of it. It bears a resemblance to an Artillery Anhängsel but it doesn't seem quite right for what I would expect. The detail seems soft, almost looks like a hollow aluminum device and the small rings hardly seem wide enough to get the machine hook through. You can see it doesn't match the winged shell example from Weitze.

Best regards,
                        ---Norm
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hi Norm, I have just re-read this interesting thread.

I have a pciture that I bought many time ago in which you can see, at least I belive so, a level 4 KM Schützenschnur. I have tried to scan it in my best quality, but at home is the best I can do, if you need a better one I'll do at work.
                          Attached Files
                          Collector of Kriegsmarine and Küstenartillerie items

Regards
                          Eduardo

Collecting Kriegsmarine !!!: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=725610

sigpic "Deutsche Kriegsmarine"

Comment

Originally posted by km-spain View Post
                            Hi Norm, I have just re-read this interesting thread.

I have a pciture that I bought many time ago in which you can see, at least I belive so, a level 4 KM Schützenschnur. I have tried to scan it in my best quality, but at home is the best I can do, if you need a better one I'll do at work.
                            Hi Eduardo,

Very interesting photo! It's doubly rare - first, because of the interwoven blue and silver braid which is so rarely seen, and secondly because it's really rare for a Feldwebel to wear a Schützenschnur at all -- usually only worn by enlisted and junior petty officers.

But that wouldn't be Level 4 because there's no shield attached to the rosette. It could be Level 2 or 3 which we can't tell without seeing the colour of the Anhängsel which is somewhere behind his hand.

Best regards,
                            ---Norm

Comment

Originally posted by Norm F View Post
                              It could be Level 2 or 3 which we can't tell without seeing the colour of the Anhängsel which is somewhere behind his hand.
                              You are right Norm, anyway as you say very rarely seen
                              Collector of Kriegsmarine and Küstenartillerie items

Regards
                              Eduardo

Collecting Kriegsmarine !!!: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=725610

sigpic "Deutsche Kriegsmarine"

Comment

a very nice photo KM-spain

KM-NZ

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 5 users online. 0 members and 5 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X