This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very nice set AH

OK, my first question about KM tallies, have you ever seen different "models" of the Kriegsmarine one, I have two with different size of the lettering. Have you seen this on your bands?, is only a maker difference?

Collector of Kriegsmarine and Küstenartillerie items

Regards
    Eduardo

Collecting Kriegsmarine !!!: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=725610

sigpic "Deutsche Kriegsmarine"

Comment

wonderful displays gentlemen

my small collection growing very slowly, a couple of other Talleys not laid out as of yet .......

Erich ~

Comment

Here is a display I did of an Imperial tally collection. It comprises many of the heavy ships that took part in the battle of Jutland. They are arranged by battle squadron.
        These tallies can be a wonderful and time consuming part of collecting, for instance, this Imperial display took nearly 15 years of effort to put together, and the help of other collectors to make it happen.
        best wishes,
        jeff
        Attached Files
        Looking for a 30 '06 Chauchat magazine.

Comment

Originally posted by km-spain View Post
          Very nice set AH

OK, my first question about KM tallies, have you ever seen different "models" of the Kriegsmarine one, I have two with different size of the lettering. Have you seen this on your bands?, is only a maker difference?

The reason, I believe, is the date of manufacture. Earlier tallies had smaller spaces between the letters. I am sure of this with the named tallies, the first ones had very small spaces between the letters, but I think the same thing happened with Kriegsmarine. Maybe Dani can elaborate. John
          Last edited by John R.; 05-19-2009, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by A.H. Thomassen View Post
            Very nice items displayed in this thread.

Here's a little contribution from my own collection - a Hermann Künne display with Mützenband, awards and some paper to go

AH
            Very nice Hermann Künne grouping and muetzenband!!!!!!!!!

John

Comment

Originally posted by 2dresq907 View Post
              Another view.

Thanks,
              Yes, quite well done. I know all too well with the problem of the slanted cap tally in a display. I would not worry about it too much.

John

Comment

This thread and the displays that are being shown shows what can be done with this area of collecting. You can collect based on a theme, say like Jeff with Jutland or a single ship or representative tallies of the different Kriegsmarine organizations.

Anything is possible and it helps to make an interesting display.

Thanks to everyone so far!!!!

Please note Jeff's tallies are Kais. M. tallies, there are tallies much older than that and of course Reichsmarine and Bundesmarine tallies. The early Bundesmarine tallies are in Gothic script, so be careful.

As time goes on, we will get examples of all types posted.

I think it is important to understand pre-WWI tallies, WWI tallies, post WWI tallies, WWII tallies and post WWII tallies so that you can quickly place a tally in the proper timeline.

John

Comment

Originally posted by John Robinson View Post
                  I think it is important to understand pre-WWI tallies, WWI tallies, post WWI tallies, WWII tallies and post WWII tallies so that you can quickly place a tally in the proper timeline.

John
                  Yep, would love to but it's hard to find the info.

Anyway, interesting thread for sure and thanks for showing from your collections guys! Looking forward for a lot more.

Comment

script sizes

Very nice set AH

Well, that's difficult to answer and I have to admit my knowledge in this particular issue (sizes) is not based on research but hear-saying and things told by "old" collectors and veterans.
                    The differences in the "stretch", or better: length, of the inscription is based on the date of production.
                    F.e. I was told that the Kriegsmarine tally, when it was first introduced in 1935 was stretched very wide, nearly as there would be space between the individual letters for another letter. I have seen also photos which show this "pattern" clearly.
                    Later on the same word (in this case "Kriegsmarine") was squeezed in a space of only half the initial length of the first "pattern". You can observe the very same phenomenon (just by far not that drastic as with "Kriegsmarine") with nearly every single tally of the KM. Try and measure once you have two of the same kind! They are rarely of the same length of the inscription.
                    To my knowledge there was only one "factory" which made tallies for the KM. However, my knowledge might be incomplete in this matter and I hope the last secrets will be uncovered by the book, which is currently being worked at by Markus B. and Bernd W.

Another thing I would like to bring up: the height of the inscription. Do any of you guys have a 17mm height tally? What I want to say: the silk ribbon is the very same but the height of the inscription is just 17mm (for a capital letter) instead of 21mm of a normal KM tally? Unfortunately I cannot post a picture as I don't have such a tally.

Dani
                    Last edited by John R.; 05-19-2009, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Jeff V.

Your imperial tallies are awesome. The time and effort you put into this area certainly paid off. A great display.

Regards,
                      2dresq907

Justin G.

Comment

Originally posted by 2dresq907 View Post
                        Your imperial tallies are awesome. The time and effort you put into this area certainly paid off. A great display.

Regards,
                        2dresq907

Justin G.
                        Thank you Justin. I have always felt that tallies are an extremely interesting part of naval history.
                        best wishes,
                        jeff
                        Looking for a 30 '06 Chauchat magazine.

Comment

Have a few pics of interest for this thread...

Firstly check the Panzerschiff Deutschland Tally in wear -

Notice the arm patch although not entirely clear he is a Taucher - Diver
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Trance_Eyes; 05-19-2009, 11:19 PM.

Comment

Also here is a display of "Feind" Tallies from a German Collector looking back at us as we look at them...
                            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks John and Dani for your comments about the Kriegsmarine bands, I didn't know that the length of the inscription was based on the date of production.

Anyway I have some doubts about Dani's observations.

Originally posted by Marine HJ View Post
                              I was told that the Kriegsmarine tally, when it was first introduced in 1935 ...
                              I was thinking that the Kriegmarine tally was introduced in 1938, IMO 1935 is a very early date, are you sure about this?

To my knowledge there was only one "factory" which made tallies for the KM. However, my knowledge might be incomplete in this matter and I hope the last secrets will be uncovered by the book, which is currently being worked at by Markus B. and Bernd W.
                              I think is almost impossible that only a factory made all the KM tallies along the war. If you compare many similar bands the letters of the inscriptions are very different and thisi s very rare in an only maker.

Another thing I would like to bring up: the height of the inscription. Do any of you guys have a 17mm height tally? What I want to say: the silk ribbon is the very same but the height of the inscription is just 17mm (for a capital letter) instead of 21mm of a normal KM tally? Unfortunately I cannot post a picture as I don't have such a tally
                              I will look in mine, but I think that I have none.

Thanks again and regards to all.
                              Collector of Kriegsmarine and Küstenartillerie items

Regards
                              Eduardo

Collecting Kriegsmarine !!!: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=725610

sigpic "Deutsche Kriegsmarine"

Comment

"Kriegsmarine" introduction date

I was thinking that the Kriegmarine tally was introduced in 1938, IMO 1935 is a very early date, are you sure about this?
                                Good Morning Eduardo,

let me do some research and I hope to be able to answer this question in some time.

Dani

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 5 users online. 0 members and 5 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X