X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CG has many nice items. However, items are mainly on consignment there. The price is set by the owner, not the Collector's Guild (CG), so CG has to add on its overhead, etc.

So CG serves a valuable function for sellers--the buyer though must be careful since all owners think they have the most valuable artifact in the world and try to pass this idea on to you as the buyer. In the case above, it worked.

All the tallies there are original. CG really knows tallies and most other areas also and I have found him to be quite helpful in his long descriptions always attached to the sales item explaining the history and other relevant facts. So it is an extremely good site, but it is expensive due to the reasons already stated.

2dresq907 is correct. These can be found if you are patient elsewhere for a much cheaper price.

John
    Last edited by John R.; 05-18-2009, 10:48 AM.

Comment

These first two refernces are very important for a collector, however, they both have errors. Still, good books that can be obtained on ebay.de.

They were more or less the first basic books on muetzenbander.

John
      Attached Files
      Last edited by John R.; 11-12-2009, 04:47 AM.

Comment

Second book.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by John R.; 11-12-2009, 04:48 AM.

Comment

Recently published by Markus B. who is a member of this forum and Bernd W. is the best book to date on tallies of the era covered (1815-1918). A new book covering tallies after these dates is forthcoming.

This is a great book for collectors of Kaiserliche Marine muetzenbander.

John
          Attached Files
          Last edited by John R.; 05-18-2009, 09:54 AM.

Comment

I have the pleasure of dealing with Dani and he is a diamond dude, I'm sure he'll be able to offer his help from time to time. Its funny how the collecting field rolls on, John makes mention of turning to those more experienced to learn but the knowledge is handed down and in turn you become the teacher... This field is great cause there are always those willing to give you advice in a friendly way.

My advice is "Stay way from the dealers, all the tallies some rarer than other will come up on ebay.de or ebay.com eventually for far cheaper. As I've been constantly told collecting is meant to be fun so take your time, focus and be patient. You'll find and get what you want in the long run for far cheaper!!!"

Enjoy folks

Comment

Very interesting thread.

Here some of mine.

Collector of Kriegsmarine and Küstenartillerie items

Regards
              Eduardo

Collecting Kriegsmarine !!!: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=725610

sigpic "Deutsche Kriegsmarine"

Comment

Cap tally threads

Good day Gents,

I'm WAF forum member since quite some time and tried to get the "tally wheel" spinning some years back. To my disappointment there wasn't a great response. Due to the "hints" of John I was led to these wonderful threads with very good, interesting and wide-spread response. First I have to re-validate my full membership making me able to post images. Then I will post a.s.a.p. to participate in the tally threads eventually.

Please bear with me a little longer - my plate is a bit full for the next two days.

Regards to world of tally collectors

Dani
                Last edited by John R.; 05-18-2009, 09:56 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

You have a nice collection Edwardo (KM Spain)

A modest collection Edwardo :Eeeeeek
                  All are in pristine condition!
                  Green with envy

Are your tallies pinned down to help hold them in place for display purposes?

I was able to after several hours, put some in a frame using a saw horse, some display foam and a piece of acid free blue paper.

Nice collection.

Justin G.

Comment

Originally posted by 2dresq907 View Post
                    Green with envy

I was able to after several hours, put some in a frame using a saw horse, some display foam and a piece of acid free blue paper.

Nice collection.

Justin G.
                    Never use pins since any hole put into this material will never close. Also do not use metal paper clips which could rip the material.

It is best to just fold them into place. You find ones that have been pinned, stapled, glued, taped--terrible but that is how you find them.

When you do have them, try to just lay them into place.

It is possible to use rubber coated paper clips or plastic clips to keep the tallies in place but be very careful.

John

Comment

Originally posted by 2dresq907 View Post
                      Green with envy

Nice collection.

Justin G.
                      Hy Justin, thanks

unfortunately I have them not displayed because I have not place for them in my little war room, and I agreed with my wife that nothing would be displayed out of there

I love tallies but I have only this small representation, my field of collecting is very focus as you know but at the same time is very big.

Regards
                      Eduardo

Collecting Kriegsmarine !!!: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=725610

Comment

Yes, I too avoided using anything that could damage the tallies. I had to first get them laid out and using two saw horses, I was able to Come at the tallies using some acid free/die free foam from the bottom where the loose ends of the tallies on each side lay. While holding tension, I was able to place into a frame and using foam board, I was able to use the back of the display and pad it so that the tallies would remain pressed against the glass and remain taught. It took several hours and several failed attempts until I got a result that I am marginally pleased with. The trouble is, that I only have a small portion behind the display. I gotta repeat this process again, and hopefully again as my KM tally collection takes off.

Regards, 2dresq907
                        Justin G.

Comment

Here is the result of 4 1/2 hours of trying everything I could to place these tallies behind a frame and not do any damage to them or use any type of pin, staple, glue, tacks, etc. Just sandwiched using artist foam you can get at Michaels art and decoration supply store.

The 2nd tally is a little off, and I tried like the dickens to keep that tally from becoming obscured. I will attempt to one day when my patience is back to adjust it so they are all flush.

For now, they are safely behind glass.

Regards,
                          2dresq907
                          Justin G.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Another view.

Thanks,
                            Attached Files

Comment

Nice displayed, well done Justin

Regards
                              Eduardo

Comment

Very nice items displayed in this thread.

Here's a little contribution from my own collection - a Hermann Künne display with Mützenband, awards and some paper to go

AH
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X