Nebeltruppen (Smoke troops) collar tabs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nebeltruppen (Smoke troops) collar tabs

Picked these up along with some other insignia I will post shortly. Always wanted some Smoke Troops cloth but the stuff is just easy to come by.

These appear to be unmounted Waffenrock tabs.

As always, comments welcome!
    Attached Files

Look like police tabs,http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ht=nebel+color

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny R View Post
      Bizarre. In hand, they are nearly identical in color to the tabs you posted in post #5 of the linked thread. Looking at the picture, they appear much more red (as opposed to purple). I tried to take another picture, but the camera lens sees them as red.

Comment

Original pics of the tabs in proper lighting (the pair being discussed is on the right) Also a set of WAF approved Nebel Boards for color comparison.

Link here:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=995162

I will just say that it is hard to judge (just like the FG set on the other thread) color wise. The variation could also be explained as being the fault of the maker. Its not out of the realm of possibility. The issue with specific colors like this is the lighting. If you look at the above link you will see the same set of boards photographed multiple times, each time having the color appear to be a different shade.
        Attached Files

Comment

In those images, 59 looks more like Nebel but is lighter on the reverse than most examples. 60 looks like GEMPO but this color is difficult to photograph as you noted. Fire police also used similar colors with a dress tab like Heer but usually a lighter bordo closer to Veterinarian carmine. Kai Winkler has been selling GEMPO tabs as Nebel for years. The best way to photograph insignia is always outside with no flash etc, in sunlight if possible.

Comment

Where I fancy my direction as a collector being towards stuff of General’s, I’m not remotely well versed in the nuances of Army tabs of this style.

I’m wondering what the significance is of the differences betwen the subject tabs of this thread, having the Nebel colored badgecloth and the configuration I have (http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...40#post8320940) using greenish badgecloth with the Nebel coloring central to the embroidered bars. Presumably there was a reason for these differences.

Attached Files

Comment

Rick C

The tabs being discussed on this thread are for a dress tunic, the one you have posted is for a field tunic / waffenrock. Hope this helps.

Comment

Thanx NYDigger!

Comment

Given that it is very difficult to capture the actual color of the tabs, I spoke to a professional photographer about capturing reds, and he said that almost all reds are color corrected afterwards for product shots, general advertising etc.

That said, I purchased a GemPo lot last year and noticed that I had an identical single tab in that lot. I photographed the lot when I bought it, and there IS a color difference between the other confirmed GemPo boards and the tab. The tab can be found at the upper left corner (both obverse and reverse).

I understand that the material used may be different, but the other GemPo items have a consistent color to them, and the one tab is definitely darker (more of a wine red).

While it is hard to capture the "real" color, these images do illustrate the relative difference between the two shades.

Thoughts on the above?
                  Attached Files

Comment

Discussion and opinions on this are most appreciated. I know that between this and "50 shades of green" ongoing discussion, there's a lot of grey...er...red area here, but healthy debate and discussion is one of the things I enjoy about this hobby.

Comment

Anyone else have anything to add here? I see salient points on both sides and welcome the discussion...

The picture I posted draws attention to the difference in shading, but if these are in fact GemPo, I wan't to treat them as such.
                      In comparing these to the examples shown in my shoulder board book, I can confidently say that they are not General Staff.

They are either GemPo or Nebel, but the color is slightly different than all the other GemPo items I have. It's almost "in-between" the two unit types.
                      Last edited by Darth2a; 07-23-2019, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X