Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Relative value of cutoff insignia?

Hi, Folks,

I am pretty new to collecting, and find I am especially interested in cutoff
    insignia, as it conveys a sense that it was really in use in the field. I am
    curious to ask if you can comment on the relative value of cutoff vs. similar
    condition insignia that are unissued or not cutoffs? I'm trying to learn how
    to fairly/accurately price cutoff vs. other insignia.

Thanks very much,
    John

There are many factors to consider. Very generally if you have an army eagle that is unissued it might be a $50 item. A cut-off doubles that and it can easily be more. Some cutoffs were trimmed by collectors years ago and those are less valuable to me.

I have a original SS eagle sewn to a original piece of camo cloth. I've had this since the 70's. It wasn't until a few years ago that I noticed that the HBT cloth is going the wrong way. Obviously something done many years after the war to hump it up. Know that there are fake cut-offs and they've been around a long time.

If you get one, post it here for opinions but understand that often the opinions are "maybe" as it's difficult to know for certain, especially with SS items.

Comment

Thank you very much!

Thanks very much for the good information! That is very helpful!

If I luck out and find something, I'll be sure to post it here!

John

Comment

How about something like this?:
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Rick C View Post
          How about something like this?:
          Can you post a picture of the reverse to look at the stitching? How/where did you come up with it?
          When you go home
          Tell them for us and say
          For your tomorrow
          We gave our today

--Inscription in the 5th Marine Division cemetery,
          Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

Came in years ago with an SS NCO sword - not that they were together, just that they came from the same collector. Was glued down a red mat thus the reddish spots in the corners.

Only the stiches to the eagle can be seen in back. Don't know what that means.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Rick C View Post
              Came in years ago with an SS NCO sword - not that they were together, just that they came from the same collector. Was glued down a red mat thus the reddish spots in the corners.

Only the stiches to the eagle can be seen in back. Don't know what that means.
              I would encourage you to post it in the SS forum. Even though the eagle has a straight stitched pattern (as opposed to the zig-zag), I don't believe that is the kiss of death. In addition, I like the fact that the eagle is machine stitched and the rank chevron looks like it is hand-sewn. Post it on the SS Forum and see what knowledgeable collectors have to say.
              When you go home
              Tell them for us and say
              For your tomorrow
              We gave our today

--Inscription in the 5th Marine Division cemetery,
              Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

I think that's a great cut-off. Unless someone says that the bevo eagle is a fake. I would love to have it in my collection. That said, is it possible for someone to assemble original components to a old piece of green cloth and then dirty it up? Yep.

Comment

posted: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...87352#poststop

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X