RONA and TAR TAR printed Shields

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RONA and TAR TAR printed Shields

I just received these shields ans wondering on authenticity. They are on a different, heavier material than the other shields I own save a Don Cossack. Any help is greatly appreciated
    Attached Files

backs

backs of aforementioned patches
    Attached Files

Comment

I have some like this and think they're okay.

Diane

Comment

For me heavier sturdy fabric with printed shields is usually a no go. I am not saying these are bad because I need to have them in hand to be sure, but I would be very sceptical. All original printed shields I own are on soft, rather thin fabric. Most fakes I have seen were printed on a heavier, sturdy weave. I recently returned a printed Lithuanian shield for that reason; it looked good on the pictures but in hand it was wrong.

Erik

Comment

They Pass Tests

Thank you very much gentlemen for your prompt reply's. They pass the burn and black light test if that helps at all. I will definitely say its a heavier fabric than on my other screen printed volunteer shields.
          Last edited by Txrgr1911; 02-04-2017, 05:37 PM. Reason: forgot thank you

Comment

I used to think that all heavier printed shields were fake, but then changed my mind on this issue. For example the Armenian shields printed on yellow cloth - the cloth is coarser to touch. Same for Siberian cossack shield - also on coarser yellow cloth. There is also a series of shields printed on some hard silk cloth (very hard to bend), I am talking about the ones that reportedly came from the "Vlassov horde" - a bunch of shields found in a box, mainly Baltics, YBB ect. Another example - a French NSKK shield, also printed on a course white cloth. So in my opinion, while majority were printed on the soft cloth, still the volunteer shields were made in variety of cloths, whatever material was available during the time of production.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
              For me heavier sturdy fabric with printed shields is usually a no go. I am not saying these are bad because I need to have them in hand to be sure, but I would be very sceptical. All original printed shields I own are on soft, rather thin fabric. Most fakes I have seen were printed on a heavier, sturdy weave. I recently returned a printed Lithuanian shield for that reason; it looked good on the pictures but in hand it was wrong.

Erik
              Maybe you can show photos with this Lithuanian printed shield?
              Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by saulius View Post
                Maybe you can show photos with this Lithuanian printed shield?
                Thanks.
                I wish I could but as I said, I have returned the shield and did not make any pictures of it...

Erik

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                  I wish I could but as I said, I have returned the shield and did not make any pictures of it...

Erik
                  OK, and what variant?

Comment

Like Askold already indicated, the heavier and coarse material and lack of cut lines give me enough reason to decline these if offered to me..
                    .I would really only gamble on such printed shields if they were printed on a very limp, soft material...linen basically...and feather light!
                    If it is stiff, rigid, coarse, I would be very hesitant to buy it, especially if they are rare shields (like these two examples)!
                    but hands on is the best way to judge these...so do they feel soft? Easily folded? The printing and colors do look very good! Mixed feelings,
                    but the RONA is very desirable of real! If cheap enough certainly still worth the gamble...

Comment

Originally posted by saulius View Post
                      OK, and what variant?

The most left one.

Erik

Comment

The Nr. 2 Lituanian shield is actually from the so called "Vlassov horde". It is printed on very hard to bend, silk like material.

Comment

Thank you gentlemen for your interest and I apologize for not noticing the replies.

I have first tried to show the difference in the material "stiffness" or "weight".
                          I chose an accepted and common example of the POA shield to have a control to compete the others. Second I chose a Don Cossack shield I understood to be pre-45 but of a heavier material than the standard. Shields three and four are the aforementioned ones in question.
                          I took these pictures after the patch sat on the finger for three seconds and stopped naturally drooping. Finger stayed same place. In order from lightest to stiffest : POA, BA, POHA, TAR
                          Attached Files

Comment

BA and POHA Respectively. In hand both feel very similar
                            Attached Files

Comment

Tar Tar is by far the "stiffest" and heaviest.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X