Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Waffenreich View Post
    Thanks for the extra pics.

In my opinion it's a WW2 era coat. Unless I'm misinterpreting the color in the pics it looks like the leather covers for the split rings holding the buttons on are grey. If this is the case it may explain what's going on with this coat. My speculation is that the coat was issued as a KM or Luftwaffe coat and then reconditioned after the war with a more civilian looking finish - that being black with the buttons we see. A DBP belt was probably cannibalized from another coat and added to finish it.

If this coat was mine I'd get the belt hardware correct and then bring it to a good cobbler that does leather work as well and see if they can "untreat" the finish to get it back to as close to original as possible.

When in original "unaltered" condition these coats run around $800 - $1200 depending on branch.

vr

Bob
    I pretty much agree with all of the above. I would only add that it is a little unusual ( but not unknown) to see such a standard military cut and detailed leather OC made without the half belt. This one may be one of those exceptions (but still with replaced post war belt or buckle) or the half belt may have been post war removed.....good workmanship could effect this with little sign it was ever there.

Comment

No one notice the "DBP" on the buckle? That means "Deutsches BUNDES Patent", ergo... post war!
      But on the other hand... i have never seen a post-war coat with a dagger hanger.... Strange!

Best regards
      Dirk

Comment

Originally posted by ZAM View Post
        No one notice the "DBP" on the buckle? That means "Deutsches BUNDES Patent", ergo... post war!
        But on the other hand... i have never seen a post-war coat with a dagger hanger.... Strange!

Best regards
        Dirk

The DBP was mentioned at least twice in the thread.

I'm not sure if the coat was made with a separate belt or was later modified for one. In either case a belt is easy to add. I have never seen evidence that military cut leather overcoats were made post war (not counting the repros of the last 15 years) so I think that there is no question that the coat is pre-45.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
        X