Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leather greatcoat

Hi guys
    I'm not a uniform guy,so I would like to know your opinions about this leather greatcoat.
    It looks original to me,but .....

Thank you
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

i would like to see a photo of the rear of the coat, it there or was there a half belt?

The belt with it now looks to be post war as the buckle is DBP marked. Otherwise the coat looks period and probably LW although others organizations are possible such as RAD and others.

IMO generally Wehrmacht and W-SS did not use brown leather OC very much but may have happened some. Let me add that I really can not tell from the photos and light if this one is gray or brown.

Comment

On the surface it looks like a period coat, but I've handled period examples in Luftwaffe gray and Heer green and they have features this one doesn't. Look at the differences in the pics of the coat I have. I'm not suggesting this is the standard all should be judged by, but it does have characteristics commonly found in period garments. This includes hook & eyelet at the collar, buckle sewn to the belt, and PRYM snaps (which I didn't photo because I did not want to open it). This coat is a vet bringback and my Luftwaffe example was identical save for the color of the leather, finish of the shoulder board buttons which were silver vs. gold, and color of the horn buttons which were blue-gray vs. dark green).

I agree with Phil that the belt (or at least the buckle is post-war) but the coat may in fact be period. The lining looks identical to other period examples in this style. What are the snaps marked, and does one of the cuff facings open at the front only? Based on your pics (especially the inside of the back of the neck) the coat looks Heer green).

vr

Bob
                    Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

The coat is for sure military or para-military and not made for the civilian market. I am not aware of any like this made for military or police organizations in post war Germany.

The buttons are not of a type that I have seen originally used on these, but I would have to see one off the coat to make a call...I have see photos what appeared to be actual leather buttons worn not to be confused with "fooTball" designed metal ones.

The dagger hanger is LW type but may have been used with other orgs also....also correct for SS but they also had coats and tunics with clip type hangers

Many if not most all LW (and KM) leather coats like this had no hook and eye.

belts were sometimes added to these post war as it was more civilian style. half belts were sometimes removed post war to complete the look.

There are some wartime photos that show built in belts being used, but I think most of these were intended for sale to NSDAP orgs like RAD and others.
                        At any rate, back to the friction buckle, the DBP marking tells me that this buckle is post war....late 40s or 1950s in this case.

Comment

Thank you guys
                          I will make some pictures later today.
                          The color of the coat is black,but the leather loops inside are grayish, not green or brown .
                          So that should be for luftwaffe?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by phild View Post
                            Many if not most all LW (and KM) leather coats like this had no hook and eye.
                            Here is my Luftwaffe example with hook and eye. The coat is made by the same maker as my Heer example, but has been cut down and had the leather belt removed. If this was done during the war it was probably because the bottom was thrashed, or the officer wanted more freedom of leg movement and/or a stylish look with leather claw belt and his breeches and boots visible.

If one has not had the "pleasure" of donning one of these they are heavy, cumbersome and really limit your movement. My Luftwaffe coat modification is the way to go, and looks good too
                            Attached Files

Comment

Better pic showing the true color of the Luftwaffe coat.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X