Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GD shoulder boards

Hi All,
    Just wondering if the following are real? Are they pioneers? Are they rare? What would you expect to pay for them?
    Thanks.
    Is mise
    Barry
    Attached Files

More pictures

More pictures
    Attached Files

Comment

Imo

Hello,

Original ? IMO hard to say.
      Two contras;
      a.these straps are mint
      b.these days I seldom trust embroidered straps with "stitched" backs.
      I mean by "stitched" when two piece of fabric were stitched together.
      This was certainly done for economic reason and this feature is found with original examples. But in these cases two pieces of different fabric were stitched together. It makes no sense when two pieces of the same fabric are stitched together. But also this could happen.

Yes, black Waffenfarbe was for Pionier

Price...dealer or private makes a huge difference.

Regards,
      Thierry

Comment

These boards looks good to me !
        Regarding the "economy" back side , not only different pieces of cloth were used
        but every single piece ...of the same roll also !
        And even used recycled cloth in the later days !
        Nick

Comment

Thanks for all the help so far. They are from a dealer so a rough guide on price would also be a big help.

Comment

straps

From these images I would suggest saving your money IMO.

Comment

Post war copies. Thierry and Pauke are correct with their suspicion and suggestion. Here are some reasons why:
              Incorrectly shaped embroidery using synthetic thread (should be cotton thread)
              Piping is a post war imitation rayon with a weave pattern that is not the same as wartime braided pattern.
              Buttonholes do not appear the same as many original wartime constructed buttonholes ("keyhole" bottom narrow, entire buttonhole appears slightly too long...)
              Piecing together on reverse is very "tight" compared to many wartime originals ( again, Thierry has the right sense)
              This pair appears to be one of a number of batch faked GD EM straps that ( I think) first turned up ato a large German show about 8+ years ago...almost all with more scarce colors (black, blue, red...).
              CSP

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the help. I am glad I joined WAF. That advice has saved me a small fortune.
                Is mise
                Barry

Comment

IMO good ones ...
                  The piping is a classical period type , not postwar .
                  The button hole is one of the variations existing , a bit longer as usual but not so
                  unusual . You can see also shorter ones , a lot shorter for example on the LW boards made for smaller shoulder boards buttons .
                  What do you call "incorrectly shaped" ?
                  The thread doesn't look to be a modern synthetic one , but a normal period thin one .
                  Concerning the back pieces sewn together , nothing wrong , as well a variation already seen ?
                  Regarding the " german lot "repros , nothing to do with these ones , they were of a very different making ... !
                  Nick

Comment

Hi Lads,
                    Thanks for the advice to date. I am yo yoing between buying and not buying based on the advice given so far.
                    Please keep the advice coming as it is all a learning curve for me.
                    Thanks a mill

Comment

Hi Barry,

These boards look similar to the following pair which had been proved to be fake: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...=208719&page=2

Regards,
                      Yun

Comment

Thanks Yun 😊

Comment

Nick:
                          If the embroidered GDs could be placed over most originals, the y would not be the same.
                          Last edited by CSP; 11-28-2016, 10:08 PM.
                          CSP

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by richthofen_117 View Post
                            Hi Barry,

These boards look similar to the following pair which had been proved to be fake: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...=208719&page=2

Regards,
                            Yun
                            Proofed to be fake ? I don't read that in the posts ?
                            Nick

Comment

Originally posted by CSP View Post
                              Nick:
                              If the embroidered GDs could be placed over most originals, the y would not be the same.

You can try to dismount the original board and do the embroidery ?
                              The next step may be ?
                              Nick

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X