MilitaryStockholm

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions about 2 Heer uniforms (pointed collar M43 + wrapper)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions about 2 Heer uniforms (pointed collar M43 + wrapper)

Hi guys,

I was just wondering if someone can tell me more about the tunics worn by these soldiers:

1/
    I see an M43 with a very pointed collar (like some SS tunics) and sewn-in shoulder boards (only the right one has a loop).

Does it directly indicates a tailor-made tunic or are they known productions with such collars? This soldier obviously cared about his look (early dark green collar tabs and shoulder boards, breast eagle...) so it would make sense. Now I'm not sure how many soldiers made tailor-made M43 as these were not the nicest looking tunic compared to earlier patterns.

2/
    The wrapper and the cap have clearly different colours but the wrapper doesn't look black either. The collar tabs piping looks almost metallic (the reflection of the light is rather obvious) and the cap shows what could to be a Jäger (or Skijäger) insignia. At the end the aspect of the collar tabs piping is what intrigues me the most.

Thanks for any info you guys could bring in!

Cheers,

Max
    Attached Files

Close-up of the collar tabs
    Attached Files

Comment

It could be the basket weave piping for the colar tab on the feldgrau wrap.
      derka

Comment

wrap

what's on the left side of his cap?

Comment

Originally posted by derka View Post
          Unfortunately the pattern on the photo paper doesn't let us see the structure of the piping but I also thought about that... Thanks!

what's on the left side of his cap?
          Most likely a Jäger or Ski-Jäger insignia. Could also be a division insignia.

Comment

The M-43 almost certainly has a tailored collar. The wrapper collar appears to be within issue norms.

Comment

I wonder if the M43 is actually a M44 with the front buttoned up...I can't see a hook and eye at the neck but maybe it is there (M43)

Glenn
              "A Man's Got to Know His Limitations"

Comment

The first tunic is very odd. It may indeed be a M-44. The eagle also is early.

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn McInnes View Post
                  I wonder if the M43 is actually a M44 with the front buttoned up...I can't see a hook and eye at the neck but maybe it is there (M43)

Glenn
                  I wondered if that was the case as well but I am leaning towards it being an M-43 for several reasons; the pockets seem shorter than most M-44s, the buttonholes more close together and while M-44s were intended to be worn open collared, the collar usually sits farther apart when closed.

Comment

Looking at it again I think it is a M-43 that was tailored. The boards are sewn in and the jacket look like it fits like a full tunic.

Comment

Originally posted by OSS View Post
                      I wondered if that was the case as well but I am leaning towards it being an M-43 for several reasons; the pockets seem shorter than most M-44s, the buttonholes more close together and while M-44s were intended to be worn open collared, the collar usually sits farther apart when closed.

Yes,most likely a M43...Kind of surprising considering all the early insignia used that he never had the modified collar faced in dark green.

Glenn
                      "A Man's Got to Know His Limitations"

Comment

Originally posted by derka View Post
                        derka
                        Absolutely

Comment

Thanks for all your answers !

Comment

Are collar tabs different color to the shoulder strap piping on the FG wrap ?
                            Seem darker - but could be lighting

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                            X