Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stepdale View Post
    Hello,
    My wife is a seamstress and just explained to me why the thread is differently colored. The thread on the front is what was in the sewing machine, while the thread in the reverse was in the bobbin. Most often, seamstresses use the same colored thread for each, but sometimes they don't as the bobbin reverse thread is usually not seen. The white thread is gathered in one corner on the reverse because that is where the seamstress started stitching, but failed to hold the thread tight so that it gathered together in a ball. The seamstress finished the sewing in that same corner and then sewed a little ways in reverse to keep it from unraveling.

I hope that helps.
    Dale
    That's right, this is often how Luftwaffe collar tabs are applied, the Waffenfarbe colour on the outside to match the collar tab, often standard blue-grey on the inside. Just a different thread on the bobbin.

Stunning jacket, always fancied one!

Regards, Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn McInnes View Post
      I was not attemping to come across as some sort of evil monster by casting doubts on your M-44 jacket and I hope that you do not think that but I think you should know the History with this one, so here it goes.

I saw this M-44 tunic 3 or 4 years ago...It had the factory sewn collar tabs still applied but the eagle was removed. If I remember correct the eagle was not sewn through the lining from the factory when it was manufactured,as not all of them were.(most were)

It had the eagle re-applied using threads that were a "close" match to those used in the jackets manufacture..A tan color thread for the front of the eagle and a dark green (to match the button hole thread) used on the reverse (the bobbin thread)

If you examine the attachment threads with a loupe and compare them to the thread used for the button holes and other parts of the jacket you will see what I mean.

A year or so later the collector who owned it consigned to a very reputable dealer with full disclosure as to what was done, and he correctly described it,as it is now.

http://virtualgrenadier.com/sale_item.php?iid=962

So there you have it and I figured this one would end up being sold as "all original" as it is very well done.

With regards

Glenn
      Glenn, thank you for your feedback but why not say it the first time.

Anyway, it's a nice looking tunic and I didn't pay a lot for it, very surpized by the price on the website.
      http://www.sandeboetiek.com

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sander vw View Post
        but why not say it the first time.

I did. (post # 23)

Glenn
        "A Man's Got to Know His Limitations"

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn McInnes View Post
          I did. (post # 23)

Glenn
          That was poorly underbuild...
          http://www.sandeboetiek.com

sigpic

Comment

Sure.....

Originally posted by sander vw View Post
            I disagree, I'm absolutly sure this is all original.
            This I would state only if I had it from my grandfathers closet.

We do have tailor around the corner who is tailoring only customer made uniforms for UAE Armed Forces and Police officers.
            I supplied him with a partially stripped KM reefer, original insignia,thread etc.
            You will not see that it is all re-applied. It is so well done that I would buy the jacket as "period" applied.
            Since than, I kissed the "absolute original" goodbye when it comes to tunics....

Regards
            Christian

Comment

Nice tunic Sander congrats! Forget about the eagle. It was made with one and it has one now which is pretty much the same thing anyways imo

Comment

Originally posted by Disco Partisan View Post
                Nice tunic Sander congrats! Forget about the eagle. It was made with one and it has one now which is pretty much the same thing anyways imo
                I concur, nice tunic with rare eagle. And IMO most of tunics which are around have reapplied insignia. When you know it, just enjoy what you have

Comment

Originally posted by compressore View Post
                  Since than, I kissed the "absolute original" goodbye when it comes to tunics....

Regards
                  Christian

I agree and do the same, but we need to understand that this applies to most everything else as well and some things much more so than tunic/insignia.

Daggers have been bumped, restored, and out right built from the ground up since the war ended and I saw it still happening at a show last weekend so safe to say 70 years non stop! Helmet parts, field equipment, firearms.....ribbons and cases on high end orders ....all have been moved around and much of during the period of use.

I'm not saying this prove anything, but it goes back to having a healthy perspective this material.

Comment

now no one can trust most of anyone ...
                    I hope everything collapses,so who takes advantage and gains so petty,back into the hole from where came out.

Comment

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X