early officer coat opinion please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

early officer coat opinion please

I'm preparing to sell it, so please give me some opinions about the coat. I cant read the date, but i think it's an early one. What do You think?

Nice early jacket in my opinion. Matt

Comment

opinions are welcome

BTW many thanks Matt.

Comment

Mantel

Nice looking Arzrt Mantel!

Comment

Nice first world war officer's OC updated to Third Reich era wear. Looks like it is dated either 1910 or 1918.....my guess is 1910 with a re-placed collar, buttons and re-worked rear skirt button arrangement. Also notice the repair and re-enforcement done to the lower inside lining in the area all along the edge.

Comment

In my opinion, it looks like a good pre1945 coat. The medical shoulder boards look good also.

Comment

Originally posted by phild View Post
              Nice first world war officer's OC updated to Third Reich era wear. Looks like it is dated either 1910 or 1918.....my guess is 1910 with a re-placed collar, buttons and re-worked rear skirt button arrangement. Also notice the repair and re-enforcement done to the lower inside lining in the area all along the edge.
              Interesting, so reworked from WW1, which would explain the tag, (besides an early date) it also states that the tailor
              was the recognized supplier to the Royal court of Bayern.

Comment

There was a tunic for sale earlier this year that was named to a WWI infantry Oberst and dated 1916. The WWI era red piping for Infantry was replaced with white and it was reworked to look a bit like a RH piped walking out tunic with WWII era dress collar tabs, boards and a Heer breast eagle. He was retired but was allowed to wear a uniform and must have decided to "update" his WWI jacket.

Comment

Originally posted by NickG View Post
                  supplier to the Royal court of Bayern.
                  so far i know it was even used after ww1 .

Comment

This one is the early silver-gray used for overcoats prior to 1915 (and well before feldgrau tunics were even adopted in 1907/10. Officers continued to wear this color OC through WWI along with feldgrau versions, although much less by mid war so it is most likely 1910 instead of 1918. The original collar facing on this coat would have probably been blue.

Comment

Ww i

The pre- and early-war officer's overcoat was a totally different color light grey. There was an M-1915 in feldgrau but it only had a single row of buttons down the middle like EM overcoats, so this is clearly NOT a reworked WW I coat.

Comment

Originally posted by pauke View Post
                        The pre- and early-war officer's overcoat was a totally different color light grey. There was an M-1915 in feldgrau but it only had a single row of buttons down the middle like EM overcoats, so this is clearly NOT a reworked WW I coat.
                        I beg to differ. I will say that on another look at the tag I think that the date is 1911 instead of 1910....but that makes no difference.

I have owned several of the pre-war silver gray officer coats and in my view of these photos the color is very close if not the same. You are correct about the M15 EM feldgrau overcoat being single breasted, but also be aware the MANY officers had their OCs made of feldgrau and double breasted through out the war.

There is NO question this this coat is Imperial era, the only questions are exactly what was modified on it. Most know that there were several different variations on how the back of these could be set up...much depending on the State that the coat was from. Generally all of these early coats had 6 or 4 button scallops below the belt (which can be found with one or two buttons) much like a third reich parade dress tunic.......these would have been removed in the case of this coat and you should be able to find the traces of this.

Comment

Thanks for Your answers. Now i'm sure that's is imperial era provenance of this coat, but there are no marks of modifications at all - mayby a good tailor.

Comment

Could be year date could be 1916? That would mean it could have been tailored with a single front and the back the way it is. If it is earlier and he served in WWI without having been a full doctor but as a medical student with experience he would be an Unterarzt etc. I am not sure if they wore the overcoat of an NCO or an officer but the earlier patterns for NCOs would also be in this cut or at least more similar but with the Imperial field gray color collar or as Phil suggested with a blue collar etc.

Comment

Look at this topic http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=824852 there are some information about uniform set

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X