Late war 1945 M44 tunic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Late war 1945 M44 tunic

This '45 dated M44 tunic has some interesting features.

1. Rear seam
    2. Sparse inside lining with only 1 interior pocket
    3. Straps on the cuffs for cinching
    4. Early style tabs which appear factory applied
    5. No neck closure tab under the collar
    6. No support straps or holes for support hooks

Comments appreciated.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by hcliffe; 12-11-2014, 02:03 PM.
    HC

Attached Files
    HC

Comment

Top picture: Repairs found on the inside back

Bottom picture: These straps are to cinch the cuffs. No cuff slits.
      Attached Files
      HC

Comment

These earlier war tabs appear to be factory applied to me. I believe we have seen them used before on M44 tunics, and there is no evidence of other tabs previously applied.
        Attached Files
        HC

Comment

Attached Files
          HC

Comment

Top picture: This marking is above the inside left pocket. Partial RBN#?

Bottom picture: Material peeking out from the bottom inside seam.
            Attached Files
            HC

Comment

Is this the one from eBay which gone quickly ( with very bad photos )? I think I saw it there and even was thinking about buying it( remember the repair ).

Comment

Tunic appears original but the insignia is replaced. The reason you see these collar tabs on model 44s and other late war uniforms is that they are available and reasonably priced. A pair of late war collar tabs cost $75 and up these days! Appears that there has been work to cover and fix old damage. The lining also appears repaired with a wool patch? If it is cheap enough one could afford to buy and spend the money on it to fix it. But it is not an unmodified original it has been messed with by someone who had some idea of what to do. But quickly outrun his knowledge and maybe his pocketbook.
                Best regards,
                marion

Comment

The "M" stands for Munich depot

Comment

Originally posted by mwliles View Post
                    Tunic appears original but the insignia is replaced. The lining also appears repaired with a wool patch?

I agree...It also looks like the shoulder strap bridles may be replaced too,they look like the same wool as used for the interior repairs.

I wonder if the other interior pocket was removed (I can't tell from the photos) but I have seen them with the cuffs done this way and 1 interior pocket

Glenn
                    "A Man's Got to Know His Limitations"

Comment

Yes, the shoulder strap bridles were replaced. Mwliles suggested that perhaps there was a large wool repair on the lining. That is not the case. That large section of wool is the backing for the exterior pocket. It appears that there never was an inside right pocket on this particular tunic.

Interesting to hear that Glenn has seen cuffs this way as I have not, but he has seen a lot more than I have.
                      HC

Comment

How about a better picture of the inside lining. There was a reason that the lining covered certain strucural areas, to provide strength so the pocket does not pull away and is firmly anchored. It now appears it is missing the lining on the one side that should cover the pocket.

Comment

m-44

There was a considerable number of these Feldgrau 44 tunics that turned up in the late 1970's or so and they seemed to consistently have these collar tabs with a mid-war light green eagle applied in a triangular m-44 style pattern (the one shown looks replaced). The collar tabs on this tunic are original to it in my opinion. The other interesting unusual feature was shoulder straps made of the same cloth with loose wool piping and no backing on the tongues of the straps. And I think the button holes on them were also not key hole style. Piping colors are in light green and pink and a third color (maybe white) I can't recall. The straps look dubious by themselves but after seeing numerous tunics with them I was convinced they were originals with this particular tunic manufacturer. I also have a matching set of trousers that came with a tunic and the trousers are of shoddy construction and almost gauze-like material used for the internal portions of the pockets. This was before the "load" of unissued late feldgrau wrappers turned up of a similar cloth with late-war collar insignia of Russia braid sewn directly to the collar. They cost $200 back them.....but I digress.

Comment

Originally posted by pauke View Post
                            There was a considerable number of these Feldgrau 44 tunics that turned up in the late 1970's or so and they seemed to consistently have these collar tabs..The collar tabs on this tunic are original to it in my opinion.

I would not have a problem with these type collar tabs being used on a M-44 but I have yet to see a M-44 using them which I would consider "textbook" factory folding,sewing and positioning on the collar.I wonder why that is??

When compared to examples that are without question period sewn the difference is obvious.

See attached tunics from several different makers.

Glenn
                            Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X