A few more.

Attached Files
    "A Man's Got to Know His Limitations"

Comment

hhhg
      Attached Files

Comment

I never tire of gazing at these. (Glenn's)

Comment

Good comments and insight everyone, thanks for sharing. Especially the pics of your Glenn. Yes the sewing of these tabs is definitely different from your examples. Just curious if any of the tunic you showed were '45 dated?
          HC

Comment

Originally posted by hcliffe View Post
            Yes the sewing of these tabs is definitely different from your examples. Just curious if any of the tunic you showed were '45 dated?

That's the thing,every time I see one with these type collar tabs applied they are always sewn in a amateur way.

Both tunics in post #16 are 45 dates.

Glenn

Comment

Not speaking about the jacket that started the thread, but I am not 100% convinced that the earlier tabs were not used at the end of the War in some cases. I have 1945 dated jacket and the dark green tabs are just haphazardly sewn on using the same thread as the eagle.

Comment

Thanks Glenn. I am okay if the insignia is all post war applied. I was wanting the jacket due to its variation from other M44's, and I am happy with it. But regarding the collar tab application, it doesn't seem like it would have taken much more effort for someone to sew the tabs on like the ones you show. Of course I know little about sewing so I could be all wrong on that.
                HC

Comment

Originally posted by hcliffe View Post
                  But regarding the collar tab application, it doesn't seem like it would have taken much more effort for someone to sew the tabs on like the ones you show. Of course I know little about sewing so I could be all wrong on that.

I think it would be difficult especially if they had no clue as to what collar tabs were usually used on these and how to fold and sew them correctly and could they match the thread used in some of the jackets original manufacture....I think in most cases (not all) it is not tunic collectors restoring them.

I would also think GI's entering German clothing factories in 1945 would have encountered many of these M-44's in various stages of manufacture. I know I have seen several that were brought home with no insignia ever applied and a few with just the eagles applied with no collar tabs ever being sewn..

So when I see these using early collar tabs,not folded and applied as I would expect to see them,I get nervous.

Best regards
                  Glenn

Comment

Good points as usual Glenn, thanks for the input. This may have been one that had no tabs at wars end.
                    HC

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn McInnes View Post
                      I would not have a problem with these type collar tabs being used on a M-44 but I have yet to see a M-44 using them which I would consider "textbook" factory folding,sewing and positioning on the collar.I wonder why that is??

When compared to examples that are without question period sewn the difference is obvious.

See attached tunics from several different makers.

Glenn
                      Glenn.

The tabs on the tunic that started this thread....

What about M43 tunics, have you seen any of those tabs on M43 tunics that you consider original sewn?

//Daniel.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel.S View Post

What about M43 tunics, have you seen any of those tabs on M43 tunics that you consider original sewn?

//Daniel.

Hello Daniel,

Not that I recall (I may have) but I am certain they would have been used if that was all they had at the time of manufacture.

Interesting in that I have seen several late M-43's and late Panzer wrappers (44 dates) using earlier type eagles that were without question the original factory sewing but I have never seen a M-44 using an early pattern eagle. Certainly on my wants list if I can ever find one as I like variations.

Regards
                        Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn McInnes View Post
                          Hello Daniel,

Not that I recall (I may have) but I am certain they would have been used if that was all they had at the time of manufacture.

Interesting in that I have seen several late M-43's and late Panzer wrappers (44 dates) using earlier type eagles that were without question the original factory sewing but I have never seen a M-44 using an early pattern eagle. Certainly on my wants list if I can ever find one as I like variations.

Regards
                          Glenn
                          Thanks Glenn.

Interesting, ill get back to you.

//Daniel.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Pre-1938 branch piped Litzen on an M43 tunic would be very difficult for me to accept as factory applied.

Comment

Originally posted by CWP View Post
                              Pre-1938 branch piped Litzen on an M43 tunic would be very difficult for me to accept as factory applied.
                              yes, but we are not speaking about those.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel.S View Post
                                yes, but we are not speaking about those.

Would you have a M-44 with early eagle,original factory sewing...

Glenn

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X