No announcement yet.

Artillery Hauptmann M44 Jacket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have seen tunics that have the pocket material robbed for other purposes. This was not done to be able to wear the uniform as civilian dress. During the immediate Post War period this type of thing was done out of neccessity. The pockets were an easy source of material that could be used for other repairs or projects. If you have been to Germany and you see how many things were made out of Zeltbahn material because it was available at the time. Children's coats and School back packs are excelelnt examples of articles made from avaiable material. Now these things are sold as WWII originals to indescriminate but believing collectors. IMO the pocket material was removed to be repurposed.

Comment

Originally posted by mwliles View Post
      I have seen tunics that have the pocket material robbed for other purposes. This was not done to be able to wear the uniform as civilian dress. During the immediate Post War period this type of thing was done out of neccessity. The pockets were an easy source of material that could be used for other repairs or projects. If you have been to Germany and you see how many things were made out of Zeltbahn material because it was available at the time. Children's coats and School back packs are excelelnt examples of articles made from avaiable material. Now these things are sold as WWII originals to indescriminate but believing collectors. IMO the pocket material was removed to be repurposed.
      I agree and they could be applied to another garment as a prefabricated pocket etc. I fairly often will find tailor made dress tunics without lining materials. I was puzzled until I asked older Germans- Early war and Pre war tailor made jackets that had silk or silk like rayon lining were often used for womens panties and undergarments etc.

Comment

Thanks for your help guys.

I've thought about it and a couple of things came to my mind...

1) If the pockets were removed post-war, why would that person let the flaps ?

2) I checked carefully and the shoulder boards loops are made from the very same wool than the rest of the jacket. They were never removed/re-added. In the case of a jacket modified by a tailor post-war, the shoulder boards loops and buttons would have also been removed.

3) Also as mentioned by Phild earlier in the thread, the jacket doesn't seem to have been worn so much. If it was modified to be used post-war, it would show marks from that it seems. As mentioned by mwliles, right after the war they were wearing stuff until they had to throw them away. Here the jacket is in very good shape...

Comment

Those are good points for it to be war time removed...
          I have a tunic with skirt pockets removed...also only flaps remain in place for it to look dressier...
          now appearing to have internal skirt pockets...
          I guess in my case the officer was only interested in functional chest pockets ...
          with an M 44 however now no functional pockets whatsoever...
          Not even French cuffs to stick documents in...who knows?
          It is definitely not a worn out post war used civilian looking jacket, as presented.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny R View Post
            Original base tunic but the waist line has been altered and I doubt the pockets were removed during the War. I have never seen a period tunic with pocket bag removed. balloon pockets were sewn flat for a neater appearance but for an M44 this would make little sense. More likely it was stripped and the pockets removed, taken in and then restored with officer insignia and the award loops added to enhance value. The position of the holes for the belt ramps are fine.
            I agree with this assessment.

Comment

First of all, thanks for your help !! It's greatly appreciated !

I still ask myself why would one make the effort to remove the pocket (while keeping the flaps) to not use the jacket.

I checked it carefully this morning again and I can bring these information:

1) the shoulder boards loops are original to the jacket: same wool and same thread than the rest of the jacket (1st picture below)

2) the pocket flaps are original to the jacket: same wool, same lining on the back (2nd and 3rd pictures). They also uses the same thread than the rest of the jacekt (4th picture below): the flaps were never removed and re-added: they were always there. That still seems weird to me if we speak of a post-war modified jacket: why would one remove the pockets and not the flaps...

3) Concerning the waist line, it has clearly been repaired/altered. It's original to the jacket though: same wool, same thread for the button holes than the rest of the jacket, same thread for some of the sewing (in red of the 5th picture below).
              BUT there is another thread used (in blue on the 5th picture below) and the buttons are from a different manufacturer than the others.

What would be the explanation for this different thread ?

Thanks again for your help!!

Comment

One more thing: with the zoom on the awards loops, are you guys able to tell if there are war-time or if it's a post-war installation by a collector/seller ?

NB: of course they don't go through the lining, only the wool.

Last edited by Maxoumilitaria; 08-10-2014, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Hello,

The picture on post #21 sheds some light on the pocket subject. The outer bags were removed but the jacket was opened up on the chest and inset pockets were made. Having this slit under the flap isn't a standard thing on M44 tunics is it?

I can still not tell you when the loops and insignia were applied.

Fred

Comment

I also like the missing external pockets more now that I see they were modified to access the interior pockets. I have never seen this before but think it is possible, even likely, that the original owner had this modification made by a tailor to suit his personal tastes.

Comment

Thanks for your feedback !

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 6 users online. 0 members and 6 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X