Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Artillery Hauptmann M44 Jacket

Hi guys,

I would like your opinions about this artillery Hauptmann (captain) M44 jacket.

Obviously it has been modified by removing the breast pockets. Is that something which was common during the war ? I know that officiers tended to sometimes modify their uniforms but why removing the patch pockets ?

Globally, what is your opinion about this jacket ?

Thanks for your help!

Best,

Max

All original but "when" was the officers insignia applied? They appear more worn/stained than the jacket but maybe just the photos.

Glenn
    "A Man's Got to Know His Limitations"

Comment

Nice m44 jacket everything's original pre45 and I would say wartime done

Comment

The breast pockets were presumably removed postwar for civilian use. That´s the most probable explanation for the missing pockets. The tunic was refitted with insignia (and loops) subsequent then. So imo not an untouched example of a M44. The buttons seem to be airforce buttons though.

Comment

I also believe it is an untouched original M44 tunic. As far as the buttons on this tunic, I fee they are late war ordinance blue buttons found on late war tunics as well as M43 caps. Not Luftwaffe in my opinion. Nice tunic!
          John

Comment

Originally posted by John Degioanni View Post
            I also believe it is an untouched original M44 tunic. As far as the buttons on this tunic, I fee they are late war ordinance blue buttons found on late war tunics as well as M43 caps. Not Luftwaffe in my opinion. Nice tunic!
            John

I'm with you.

1. Feldgrau 44 shade......perfect example of that cloth and color.
            2. Blue/black buttons were introduced for general use about the same time....autumn 44.

3. Pockets removed by (for) officer.....to neaten appearance.

4. Somewhat worn insignia was salvaged from the tunic that this one replaced due to wounding or some other cause of bad damage to previous tunic.

Comment

Thanks for your help guys. It's much appreciated!

Concerning the pockets, does one of you has a theory about why the top flaps are still there and only the pockets themselves were removed?

Comment

I would assume that they left the flaps so that it still looks like a standard m44 on parade etc

Comment

No tunic expert but agree probably post war reworked for wear and put back together some time later by a collector I have a Luftwaffe Bluse that is similar with removed pockets and added buttons. Still nice original tunic IMO. timothy

Comment

I think that this is a good example of an item that needs more detailed examination that can be made from photographs. I will throw the following out there that would have to be reconciled (for me at least) IF this was a "re-converted modified for civilian wear M44:

1. buttons would all have to have been re-sewn (and found as a late war matched set!) as these would have been replaced as a civilian jacket.
                    2. Shoulder board loops (can not see the detail on this one) would have to been re-applied as the original would have been removed from the civilian version, and this alteration would be easy to detect.
                    3. I would see it much more likely that the pocket flaps would have been removed from a civilian jacket than the pockets themselves (180 degree different from military modification) it is the button down pocket flaps that distinguish military from civilian.
                    4. I would think that the civil version would have been dyed ...likely dark blue or black....most were.
                    5. If it was civilian it was not worn much.....wonder if they needed it that bad??

Comment

While the base tunic is certainly original, it is not made from Feldgrau 44 but rather Heer tropical overcoat material (imo). I know of another in a friend's collection. As for the removal of the pockets, I have no explanation though creating a smarter appearance seems unlikely to me.

Comment

Thanks you very much for your inputs.

I thought about it and I hardly can imagine a civil use for the following reason: why would someone remove the pockets and let the flats ? It makes no sense to me: a civil would remove or let everything.

@Phild, thanks for these points to check. If the shoulderboards loops are original sewn, it would exclude a "reconverted from civil use" jacket: someone removing the jacket to make it look "less military" would have also remove the loops and the shoulder buttons.

Comment

Just to add a little more, why would you leave awards loops on a tunic if converting the piece for civilian use. Just a thought. Removing or altering pockets was a common practice for NCO and junior Officers during the period.
                          John

Comment

Hi guys,

I finally received the jacket.

It seems that, the discussion about the pockets aside, we all agreed that the jacket itself was original.

There I have a question that I would like to share with you: the holes for the belt suspension hooks are not "aligned" with the reinforcements which are located under the arms. One of the holes is much more "on the side" than the other. I hope my explanation is clear enough: I made the red arrows to show what I mean

Is that something you faced on other M44 ?

Thanks again for your opinions !

Best,

Max

Comment

Original base tunic but the waist line has been altered and I doubt the pockets were removed during the War. I have never seen a period tunic with pocket bag removed. balloon pockets were sewn flat for a neater appearance but for an M44 this would make little sense. More likely it was stripped and the pockets removed, taken in and then restored with officer insignia and the award loops added to enhance value. The position of the holes for the belt ramps are fine.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X