Drillich tunic, opinions please...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Johnny R View Post
    It may have been added during the War but in my personal opinion the loops, ribbons and chevron were probably added post War to enhance the tunic. That is just my opinion. Is there differential fading of the tunic under the ribbons?
    Yes, a slight difference in shade is evident under the ribbons. The ribbons are very dull with patina, especially the white areas in the ribbons. The sunlight condition has made them look almost new. The ribbons are very flimsy/loose feeling, just like the jacket from being washed over and over again. I personally don't see any reason why the loops and ribbons couldn't have been added at the same time during the war. This would explain the same thread being used on both. His rank would have been increased as he was awarded a GAB and wound badge. The upper set of loops could have been for an HJ award. Just my thoughts.

Robert

Comment

Okay, in the end it is all up to being personally happy with the items we have.

Comment

Okay, in the end it is all up to being personally happy with the items we have.
        I agree, Johnny.

I have quite a library of TR uniform books. In them I see many instances where a lance corporal or lower has won even an iron cross of all things, and remained a corporal. Or, was elevated to corporal as a result of winning such an award. This soldier has only a WMC, not an IC. Even members of the HJ won IC's toward the end of the war for obvious reasons. I think period photos tell more about how things really were in the real world. Could it have been possible for a lance corporal to have won the KC? Absolutely. So then, why not an IC 1st class or a WMC 1st class?

Robert

Comment

In the end only the person who applied the insignia, loops, and award ribbons can tell us which idea is accurate.

One of my rules in TR collecting that has saved me a lot of grief but probably also caused me to miss some nice original items is that the more you have to work to substantiate why something is original the more likely it is not.

I still suspect the tunic was collector "upgraded" most likely when the eagle replaced but respect your opinion as well.

Comment

Here is a photo I just took indoors using my white balance. This is very close to what the ribbons actually look like, faded with age patina. Still, the white is just too white. It's more of a light yellow in real life. Note the darker material under the ribbon...

Robert
            Attached Files

Comment

It is hard to see in the images but no worries. I need to head back to Earth and do some money work for the rest of the day. Thanks for the images. Best.

Comment

Thank you for your opinions, Johnny.

Robert

Comment

My wife bought 500 dollars worth of clothes on line while I was going back and forth with you. Glad I went upstairs . No worries. I personally like seeing HBTs with nothing on them as far as awards but understand the appeal of loops and ribbons.

Comment

My wife bought 500 dollars worth of clothes on line while I was going back and forth with you. Glad I went upstairs . No worries. I personally like seeing HBTs with nothing on them as far as awards but understand the appeal of loops and ribbons.
                    I had a heck of a time getting my wife out of Costco this afternoon. She was in granny low gear looking at everything - furniture, clothing, etc. I got out without spending more than $200.00. We're in the same boat today.

Robert

Comment

We do Sams and I have learned never to take her there when she is hungry or it will cost 100 dollars beyond what we planned to buy.

The tunic is nice, personally I think the loops and ribbons were added but it is representative of what would have been worn during the war. I was friends with Hans Sturm (RKT) and he had the RK as well as the other awards as an Obergefreiter so it did happen. As he said, he had too many high awards not to be an officer so they had to promote him lol.

Comment

Personally I think the tunic is period original. It has the proper patina on the ribbons, it has wear/stretch on the loops from weight of hanging/banging badges, the eagle could be a period replacement and it is not an impossible award/rank combination. It even has the smell of being stuffed in a duffle bag and thrown in the attic since the war ended. One more comment: IF it was put together it was done very professionally. I like it.

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by Robert P. View Post
                          Personally I think the tunic is period original. It has the proper patina on the ribbons, it has wear/stretch on the loops from weight of hanging/banging badges, the eagle could be a period replacement and it is not an impossible award/rank combination. It even has the smell of being stuffed in a duffle bag and thrown in the attic since the war ended. One more comment: IF it was put together it was done very professionally. I like it.

Robert
                          I will not say anything aside from the fact that "very professionally" is the mainstay now.

Comment

Johnny,

Thank you for your time. We have differing opinions.

Robert

Comment

Weather fully original or partially post war upgraded that is one of nicest HBT's I've seen. Agree about the eagle re-application somewhere along the line.

Please forgive me for my tact but, delighted enough if ever consider moving it along please keep me in mind? Thanks.

-Ray-
                              Last edited by -Ray-; 07-20-2013, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by -Ray- View Post
                                Weather fully original or partially post war upgraded that is one of nicest HBT's I've seen. Agree about the eagle re-application somewhere along the line.

Please forgive me for my tact but, if ever consider moving it along please keep me in mind? Thanks.

-Ray-
                                Thanks Ray,

Should I ever part with it I'll refer back to this thread to PM you. But, I think I'll be holding on to it for quite some time. I've had many tunics, waffenrocks in the past. They're all gone now. I only wish I would have kept a couple of them as they were all extremely nice.

Robert

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                                X