No announcement yet.

Ohh...cmon!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am suprised that anyone is suprised about this...

Don

Comment

Since some of his inventory consists of consignment material, the outlandish price on this could be dictated by a consignor. However, a dealer should perform due dilligence on any piece prior to listing for sale so known or suspected issues are mentioned within the description.

Comment

Quite a few in recent months too.....questionable Panzer Wrap's......an SS NCO's tunic cut up and sold as period off-cuts, now this.

Originally posted by DonC View Post
        I am suprised that anyone is suprised about this...

Don

Comment

"Greed is good"

Gordon Gekko

Comment

And. .. it is still for sale.

Comment

What a mess

All that I can say is thanks for the detective work. This tunic was consigned to me three months ago by a collector in Northern Arizona, who has been a costumer for years. I had ABSOLUTELY no idea of this, and in hand the tunic looks to have original, period applied insignia. All items that I sell have a 100% refund attached to them, as I cannot be at all places at all times, so I back everything up, as this sort of thing does happen from time to time in this hobby. I have no argument here, as I can clearly see that this tunic has been restored, and is not as represented. It has been removed from the catalog, and will be returned to the consignor. It is a shame how this hobby has turned into a minefield. Nevertheless, I appreciate the sharp eye, and my intent was never to deceive anyone.

Thank you,
              Bruce Hermann

Comment

Originally posted by leib grenadier View Post
                All that I can say is thanks for the detective work. This tunic was consigned to me three months ago by a collector in Northern Arizona, who has been a costumer for years. I had ABSOLUTELY no idea of this, and in hand the tunic looks to have original, period applied insignia. All items that I sell have a 100% refund attached to them, as I cannot be at all places at all times, so I back everything up, as this sort of thing does happen from time to time in this hobby. I have no argument here, as I can clearly see that this tunic has been restored, and is not as represented. It has been removed from the catalog, and will be returned to the consignor. It is a shame how this hobby has turned into a minefield. Nevertheless, I appreciate the sharp eye, and my intent was never to deceive anyone.

Thank you,
                Bruce Hermann
                It is restored and I also know who did it. The person that bought it, bought it as restored and sold it as original.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny R View Post
                  It is restored and I also know who did it. The person that bought it, bought it as restored and sold it as original.
                  I am not opposed to restoration, but here is a clear example of the potential abuses caused by a convincing one. When they change hands the "restored" label is sometimes omitted.

Comment

Originally posted by OSS View Post
                    I am not opposed to restoration, but here is a clear example of the potential abuses caused by a convincing one. When they change hands the "restored" label is sometimes omitted.
                    Yes, I agree. I sold items as restored on Estand and have refused to sell them to a buyer in Finland and a Russian guy I know were going to sell them in Russia as original. Sadly with professional quality restorations this happens fairly often.

Comment

Originally posted by leib grenadier View Post

Thank you,
                      Bruce Hermann

That´s not the answer I got, when I complained...
                      What´s the title of that book by Erich Maria Remarque?...

Comment

Frankly, if properly done a "restored" tunic would be nearly undetectable. For some reason restoration of tunics is condoned here when done by collectors which I could never understand. There is no "restoration" , since no one knows exactly what it was in the first place. It is a rebuilt tunic , nothing more nothing less. I would imagine there is not a single collector or dealer here that has not been taken in by a well done rebuilt tunic at some point. If the photos of this one stripped had not turned up no one would have know. As to pricing, many items on estand are right up there with the big dealers. No one likes dealer's high prices until they are selling, then they want the same kind of numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by nutmeg View Post
                          Frankly, if properly done a "restored" tunic would be nearly undetectable. For some reason restoration of tunics is condoned here when done by collectors which I could never understand. There is no "restoration" , since no one knows exactly what it was in the first place. It is a rebuilt tunic , nothing more nothing less. I would imagine there is not a single collector or dealer here that has not been taken in by a well done rebuilt tunic at some point. If the photos of this one stripped had not turned up no one would have know. As to pricing, many items on estand are right up there with the big dealers. No one likes dealer's high prices until they are selling, then they want the same kind of numbers.
                          Well stated +1

Comment

I also do not like built tunics but in some cases, stripped tunics (where the owner is identified) can be historically researched and then accurately restored back to the original owners branch and rank etc. using original insignia and materials etc.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=326298

That to me is restoration. With GJ or Jager tunics and NCOs etc. tresse can be replaced and the tunic at least partially restored back to what was there. The rank for these tunics is a leap of faith.

Building tunics and embellishing them with cuff titles etc. to me is very different and is to me is not restoration, it is closer to destroying the tunic but sadly IMO this is done very often.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                            X