• Show
Clear All

Lt Van Gamm
    Attached Files

Comment

Nice stuff fellas

Good to see Lt. von Gamm again Juan. I miss him

A couple of mine:

Nebelwerfer Lt. Heinz Sandrock. KIA 14 Jan 45 Polen. Opening day of Operation VISTULA. Received the tunic, awards, photo and some documents from the Nephew in 2000. For the record - the ribbon bar and GAB are poked through the tunic.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Waffenreich; 09-22-2016, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Oberleutnant Hans Kirchmeier. Flugzeugfuhrer in Jg 5 "Eismeer".

KIA 8 Okt 44 at Petsamo Airfield Finland. Crash landed his Fw-190, lost control, and it blew-up.

Tunic is named to him. Picture must have been taken before he was awarded his DKiG. Interesting that his name is misspelled "Kirchmaier" on his sterbebild.
        Attached Files

Comment

Effekten

This was as close as I could get, the Kragenspiegel and Schulterstuecke for Instandsetzung Offizier in a Panzerjaeger Abt.
          Attached Files

Comment

Schnabl

It looks to be the same wrapper in both Fotos. The portrait was made in Maerz 1945.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Jens Thune View Post
              Taking this thread back to the top and hope others will add more

Oberleutnant Herbert Werle Stabsbattr. II./A.R. 29
              Hello Jens Thune,

This might be a dumb question, but as we are all here to learn I will still ask it.

Why is he wearing a black arm band on his left arm? I've never seen that on period photographies as on uniforms, so I'm a bit of intrigued and curious about it

Thank you in advance for your answer!

Best wishes,

vonleonhausen

Comment

Just your question, and there are no dumb questions, just dumb answers
                The black armband is a mourning band. Either worn by an individual if a close relative had died, but you needed a permit to wear it. Or worn by members of a funeral Party when some high ranking person had died and a detachment was set up to guard the tomb etc.
                Best
                Harry

Comment

He probably wore at because his close friend died. In his photoalbums, he pinned a picture of his close friend with a death notice, close to the picture of him with that armband.

I own Herbets photoalbums/papers and 2 of his tunics.

//Daniel.

Comment

Originally posted by SirHarry1 View Post
                    Just your question, and there are no dumb questions, just dumb answers
                    The black armband is a mourning band. Either worn by an individual if a close relative had died, but you needed a permit to wear it. Or worn by members of a funeral Party when some high ranking person had died and a detachment was set up to guard the tomb etc.
                    Best
                    Harry
                    Hello Sir Harry,

Thanks a lot for your helpful answer! I've learned an interesting thing today!

Kindest regards,

vonleonhausen

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel.S View Post
                      He probably wore at because his close friend died. In his photoalbums, he pinned a picture of his close friend with a death notice, close to the picture of him with that armband.

I own Herbets photoalbums/papers and 2 of his tunics.

//Daniel.
                      Hello Daniel,

Thank you for your answer! It's great to see that some personal items are still "in use" these days and that we can have the real story behind some pictures or uniforms.

Best regards,

vonleonhausen

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Kristian View Post
                        Yes, this is a really nice thread..

Here LW feldwebel Wilhelm Lohmeier and his tunic. Note the placemen of the Verwundete abzeichen...
                        Wow Hans Kristian, killer tunic!

Regards

Jan
                        'Arzt und Soldat'

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                        X