Cossack Tunic- A work in progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

L,

What worked for me is a product called CARBONA color run remover which I bought at Walmart. The website is www.carbona.com

If your not in the U.S. the product is manufactured by delta pronatura, Engelsbach Germany.

I mixed the solution with hot tap water. Don't use boiling water since it will shrink the wool.

Jim

PS Hope it helps.

Originally posted by Luciusdegeer View Post
    Hi Jim and Besslein,

last year I found a dyed and washed W-SS M 43 tunic at the local Wavre show. The owner managed to get out most of the blue dye, but just like in Jim's tunic some 'problem spots' remained (especially at the shoulders and collar). The rayon liner had turned to a very 'nice' soft pink, but the markings were still visible. The original greyish Feldgrau looks very 'steelish' grey now, undoubtedly not the original colour. All in all very good find; the price was almost ridiculous...
    Jim, what kind of cleaning agent did you use? I want to give my tunic a new treatement before appying the insignia.

L

Comment

boards

If the boards are Russian manufactured (as shown on page 40) then blue would be correct.
      If the boards are German manufactured I would expect to see only red or kavallerie piped boards (supplied from the German Kav cadre).

Comment

Thanks a lot, Jim!

Lucius

Comment

Jim here is an illustration of a Terek Cossack with boards. I recommend the BeVo style shield then the printed style.

Rene Chavez
          www.foreignvolunteerlegion.com

Comment

tunic

I would be more tempted to leave the tunic in as original state as possible and leave the arm shield off -there are plenty of pics of cossacks wearing tunics without the arm shield,plus it will be pretty hard finding a worn out bevo terek shield to match the wear of the tunic.

Comment

Thanks for all the assistance and comments. I think I've got it pretty much how I want it. Only issue is to apply a patch or not. Its true that many Cossacks never wore a patch, but the uniforms sure do look nice when they are worn. So I will probably sew on a patch even though there's no evidence one was ever applied. As far as Bevo or Printed goes I prefer Bevo but finances dictate Printed. Maybe I'll find a well worn Bevo Terek patch in the future when I can afford it. Anyway almost ready for display. Jim
              Attached Files

Comment

I actually like it with the dye markings. Makes it look salty.

Comment

Good job, Nick G will be jealous he likes these projects. Nice save

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis S View Post
                    Good job, Nick G will be jealous he likes these projects. Nice save
                    You got that right Dennis! Nice save indeed!

Maybe I shoud give mine the Carbona treatment! I was at Walmart yesterday...tempting!

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ight=black+dye

NickG

Comment

Nick, don't sniff it !

Comment

tunic

Thats looking good

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny R View Post
                          I actually like it with the dye markings. Makes it look salty.
                          Agree with Johnny as this was my first thought when looking at the tunic!

Kevin

Comment

Hi Nick and others,

Your style of tunic was actually dyed black and worn during the war. Unless your convinced the dye job is post war I might want to leave it alone. The one I restored was dyed postwar. The fact that the collar tabs were also dyed black was a dead give away. After I removed most of the black you could easily determine wartime repairs vs postwar repairs because of the different colored threads used.

Yes Carbona smells but it appears to diminish over time.

Its kinda amazing that in real life the remnants of the black dye actually appear natural. The black is more exaggerated in flash photos.

Jim

Originally posted by NickG View Post
                            You got that right Dennis! Nice save indeed!

Maybe I shoud give mine the Carbona treatment! I was at Walmart yesterday...tempting!

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ight=black+dye

NickG

Comment

I have used this as well to get black out by carefully diluting it and not letting items soak too long. It works and does not stink etc.

http://www.beverlys.com/rit-powder-c...FYpDMgod5hEA4w

Comment

I ended up obtaining both a printed and worn Bevo Terek cossack patch. Due to public demand I used the Bevo patch. As a reconstruction I think it worked out well. Heres a picture of the patch and how it is displayed in my collection. Thanks for all the comments and assistance. Regards Jim
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X