Cossack Tunic- A work in progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cossack Tunic- A work in progress

A couple of weeks ago a fellow WAF member decided to sell or trade his Dutch rework tunic which had been dyed black. There was a discussion about tunics that were dyed black during the war and used by Foreign Volunteers. While that practice did occur I couldn't find a wartime picture of a Dutch conversion that was dyed black.

The original collar tabs and loops for the shoulder boards were still present.

I worked a trade with the owner in the hope that I might be able to make a decent display.

Here are the before pictures.

Regards Jim
    Attached Files

My first issue was how to get the dye out. I tried several methods and products and finally got something to work. I managed to get most of the black dye out. There are still a few problem areas. I might attempt a campaign of targeted dye removal. Here are some "after pictures". even with some of the dye remaining it doesn't look too bad. I added a breast eagle and Shoulder Boards. The collar tabs cleaned up nicely.
    Attached Files

Comment

Collar tabs and internal stamps.
      Attached Files

Comment

From studying wartime pictures it appears the majority of tunics worn by Cossacks were of the M40-M43 variety. However Soviet tunics and converted/reissued tunics from German or captured sources were widely used. The converted Dutch tunics with added pockets (pleated and unpleated) were popular. Two wartime pictures.
        Attached Files

Comment

Now I need to buy a Terek Cossack patch. I prefer the Bevo version but will probably go with the printed version.
          Attached Files

Comment

Once the tunic is done I can match it up with my Terek Cossack Kubanka. Thats it for now.
            Attached Files

Comment

nice work its remind me abaut my ex m42 Waffen SS tunic that was dyed black,and i have sold it for 200 euro,well the buyer was smart and has done the same work like you has done,to be honest i still remember that day as he has show me hes work,to be honest i was not that happy
              congrats nice work!

Comment

The black dye is probably from post War wear of the tunic. I have US occupation handbooks and they indicate all (German) military clothing worn after the War had to be dyed black.

Comment

tunic

Why is it that there are some on this forum that seem to think these blue piped epauletttes are for terek cossack?would one of you care to show me your reference?

Comment

Hey Paul,

My Red piped boards weren't readily available and the blue ones were. The regulations state the Red Piped boards were for Cossack/ROA and I believe the blue ones were for Turkistan (I think). I've seen black piped boards like these but don't recall who wore them. Of course the Terek Cossacks were partial to light blue so it looks nice even though not technically correct. Once I find my Red ones I can exchange them. As I said a work in process.

Of course the Terek Cossacks are also seen wearing blue boards in the German style and also regular German boards. Do you happen to know what color piping they would have worn on Regular German boards for enlisted personnel Red, Blue, etc.

Hi Johnny R,

I also believe the dye job was postwar.

Hi Besslein,

Sorry about your SS tunic. Its really a gamble. Depending on the material, dyes used, how the dye was set etc., it may not always be possible to get the dye out. I took a gamble and it turned out okay this time.

Originally posted by paul.j View Post
                    Why is it that there are some on this forum that seem to think these blue piped epauletttes are for terek cossack?would one of you care to show me your reference?

Comment

Hehe, you did a vey good job and made some money removing that ugly black dye.

Blue ones are indeed Turkistan as far as I know. Don't remember what collour is correct for TB, but there is a 'Signal' edition about volunteers where you can find that info (among with other volunteer insignia).

If I were you I wouldnt go with a printed sleeve shield. You almost never run across printed shields original to tunics.

Comment

Hi Jim and Besslein,

last year I found a dyed and washed W-SS M 43 tunic at the local Wavre show. The owner managed to get out most of the blue dye, but just like in Jim's tunic some 'problem spots' remained (especially at the shoulders and collar). The rayon liner had turned to a very 'nice' soft pink, but the markings were still visible. The original greyish Feldgrau looks very 'steelish' grey now, undoubtedly not the original colour. All in all very good find; the price was almost ridiculous...
                        Jim, what kind of cleaning agent did you use? I want to give my tunic a new treatement before appying the insignia.

L

Comment

Light blue is correct, there are two examples in Die Uniformen und Abzeichen der Kosaken in the Der Deutsche Wehrmacht. There is a blue piped board shown on page 40 indicating "Die Hellblau Paspelierung weist auf Terekkosaken hin", indicating that this light blue piping was used by the Terek Cossacks.

Comment

tunic

No,its not.The board you are refering to that you seem to think makes it definitive is an officers board and if you read the comment SUGGESTS a terek used board,most certainly not the case in using a Turkistani board.
                            I must admit that I am amazed at how the dye has washed out,it has turned into a great piece.

Comment

Originally posted by paul.j View Post
                              No,its not.The board you are refering to that you seem to think makes it definitive is an officers board and if you read the comment SUGGESTS a terek used board,most certainly not the case in using a Turkistani board.
                              I must admit that I am amazed at how the dye has washed out,it has turned into a great piece.
                              I am just reading what the author wrote in German. It indicates the board and light blue piping is Terek.
                              Last edited by Johnny R; 02-09-2013, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X