DAK Tunic - Opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DAK Tunic - Opinions

I have the opportunity to purchase this tunic. I would like to know your opinions. Is the tunic authentic DAK? Are the insignia original to the piece? There are 5 pictures total. Thank You!
    Attached Files

Pictures 3 & 4
    Attached Files

Comment

Picture 5
      Attached Files

Comment

Appears to be a good 1st pattern tunic with replaced insignia (better photos would help greatly), not going to comment on the eidelweiss without a detailed image, although the litzen look reasonable.
        Can you get a close-up of the markings on the S ring cover panel (depot stamp) as well?
        Whereabouts is the stamp you have an image of, exactly?
        Regards,
        Mark
        Last edited by NZMark; 08-01-2012, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Mark, I value your opinions very much. These pics were sent to me from the prospective seller, so I do not have an opportunity to take pics myself. I suppose I could ask for more detailed pics. When you say replaced insignia do you mean that they are not original to the tunic? Thanks, Mate !

Comment

That's my take on the images. The rayon eagle is sewn in a later fashion than I'd expect to see on a 1941(?) dated tunic (and I wouldn't expect to see such an eagle on a piece this date anyway), the staining accross the wing's leading edge would appear to be an attempt to 'age' the sewing while I can't comment on the eidelweis's authenticity.
            The straps have a good chance of originality (again just judging by the 'weak' photos).
            I still can't place the location of the stamp that you've shown - it certainly is not the depot stamp on the S ring fly.
            BUT - Many will find this an attractive faded tunic - which in itself is desirable.
            Regards,
            Mark

Comment

Eagle is re-applied postwar. Straps might be ok, but need better pics (same for the edelweiss). Collar tabs are the only thing that looks original to the tunic. Tunic itself is nicely worn later first pattern, so possible it was in Afrika but no way to tell really. Would not call it a DAK tunic unless it has providence however.

Comment

Thanks, Mark. I think I am gonna pass on it. Thanks so much for your EXPERT opinions!

Jonathan

Comment

Jonathan,

I am in agreement with the others but I will go as far as to say the edelweiss is a fake. If the price isn't too bad jump on it, faded 1st models are not always very easy to come by and you can always replace the insignia with the correct period items, just takes time. Matt

Comment

Jonathan it depends all on the price you have to pay for it.

As afrikasandman say, the 1st type afrika tunic is not often to find for sale. I like the collar tabs and also the style how they are put on the tunic. Absolut right how they must be from the "Kleiderkasse".

The eagel if for shure replaced and the boards are hard to say because of the bad pictures. Forget the Edelweiss.

I would be curious what will cost the uniform.

Cheers,
                    steiner99

Comment

I would be concerned with the eagle as I really don't like the staining pattern - it looks liek an attempt to artificially age it, IMO. I think you are wise to pass on it.

Don

Comment

I would take it for a price of a stripped tunic with original collar tabs.

Comment

Im with Steinar on this one. If you got it for the price of a striped tunic with original applied tabs then you would be doing ok. This one screams chemically bleached to me as the parts under the pocket flaps are just as faded. I would say its period done but who really knows. Either way its marked as being on hold. Matt

Comment

Considering that it is for sale by a dealer and has been for sale for quite some time, I really doubt that he will get it for much less than the asking price.
                            I've been asked about this tunic previously and had the same concerns as already stated.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by afrikasandman View Post
                              Im with Steinar on this one. If you got it for the price of a striped tunic with original applied tabs then you would be doing ok. This one screams chemically bleached to me as the parts under the pocket flaps are just as faded. I would say its period done but who really knows. Either way its marked as being on hold. Matt
                              Many jackets this seller has for sale are restored jackets but are sold for prices typical for UNTOUCHED jackets. Seen many jacket bought by this seller on ebay and restored and described after that as UNTOUCHED with sky high prices. I would not trust him.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X