M44 opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WEISNER View Post
    I have a one that has been discussed here made in Russian cloth without pocket buttons and a few other small differences from a textbook M44

Yours looks textbook to me ...As for the one that started this thread,I would have some concerns about it.

Glenn
    "A Man's Got to Know His Limitations"

Comment

Originally posted by Zauberflöte View Post
      I'm sorry Kerry, but this would not be a tunic I would be comfortable with; don't really fancy the wool, construction and insignia application. These M44 tunics are relative easy to fake and indeed have been for many years.

F.
      Sewing around button holes looks wrong, has a peice of lineing material around cuff which I have never seen on a M44, Eagle is very off looking, look at the perfect V between legs and wing feather details are very jaged.

Kev

Comment

This looks like an aged fake to me as well. Sorry.

Comment

my first guess would have been that it was made (post war) from a great coat, the collar looks massive on it.

Comment

I think the materials are all post War, the herring bone material used inside the cuffs is used with West German equipment webbing etc. If you look at the fabric closely, especially the close up of the wool behind the eagle on the inside of the jacket, it looks dyed to me from another color, this blue green is usually seen with M36 tunics and early clothing not M44s etc. I also agree the proportion of the different elements are wrong. The "M 44" is a classic font for fake clothing as well. I do not think it is original, sorry.

Comment

May I ask wher you got this tunic Kerry?

Kev

Comment

Thanks again for all the replies. I have never seen a greatcoat made from Italian wool, but I guess they must have produced them, they made tunics , trousers and caps, so it makes sense. Kev, I bought the tunic in Poland about 20 years ago, or so. Well, as the saying goes, some you win. I posted another, this time good, M44 some time ago, I bought them both from the same guy at the same time. There was a lot of nice stuff coming out of the East at that time, which is why I took the chance. Kerry.

Comment

I do not think that is Italian war time wool. The Italian wool is darker and has a more rough texture/compositon. Great coats, especially SS were made in Italian wool and gabardine.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X