Heer Feldbluse for review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by STUG III View Post
    The collar is consistent with what a 'Der Spiess' would have. Is there old stitch traces under the collar, were the tabs would have been applied? They look like period hooks for the neck closure. I do see shadows were the tress was sewn on the sleeve. Are the loops, for the board, small for OFF., or large for NCO/EM boards? Nice solid tunic though. Dave.
    Hi Dave,
    thanks for the reply, I added some more photos of the collar, can you see traces of Litzen or officer collar tabs? I'm still new to collecting and I don't quite trust my eyes on some things.

Comment

Originally posted by stroh View Post
      This is an officer style collar with the double set of hooks. It is more lilely, in my opinion, that this is a converted EM M36 tunic that was used by an officer for field use. If there are any stitch marks on the collar they should conform to the larger sized tabs.

While senior NCO's also used this conversion it was usually done with a walking out tunic. This one appears to be a standard issue field tunic without any other modifications other than the replaced collar.

Ed
      Hi Ed,
      thanks for the reply, I posted some more photos, I believe this is a tunic for Der Spiess, and the shoulders show wear consistent with larger shoulder boards like an NCO would have worn, does that make the choice of collar sort of strange? I'm just concerned that the collar was added postwar.

Comment

It's really hard to say when the collar was replaced. I does have wear on it that is consistant with the rest of the jacket so that would be a good sign in my book.

Ed

Comment

The traces of the large officer collar tabs on the collar are easy to see, I have tried to indicate this with the white arrows. Der Spiess was the Hauptfeldwebel, the senior NCO in the Kompanie. Imagine that this tunic was worn by a Hauptfeldwebel, he was promoted to Leutnant so he took his jacket to a tailor who removed the cuff tresse and replaced the issue type collar with an officer style. This is entirely plausible. Less likely, but certainly still possible, the Leutnant could have left this tunic at home and been killed and his tunic turned in by the family and then reissued to a Gefreiter.
          Attached Files

Comment

Wow, thanks Chris, I appreciate you taking the time to show me where the tabs should be. So, everything seems to check out on the collar replacement looking period done? I was a little concerned because the thread on the Chevron looks pretty similar to the thread sewing on the collar. Can we assume that the shoulder board holders were also done by the same collector who sewed the Chevron on? If this guy was promoted to Leutnant, his shoulder boards would be thinner than the slips on this jacket, right? I'm just trying to make sense of this, and maybe I'm making it more complicated than it needs be?

Comment

The collar looks period done to me. Ultimately there is no way to be 100 percent certain but I would give this one the benefit of the doubt. There is no way to know when the chevron and shoulder board loops were sewn on. Many of these jackets were modified many times from 1935-45 and sometimes were worn by different people during the period as well. Insignia was changed, alterations were made, changes in rank or unit could necessitate various modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Pittman View Post
                The collar looks period done to me. Ultimately there is no way to be 100 percent certain but I would give this one the benefit of the doubt. There is no way to know when the chevron and shoulder board loops were sewn on. Many of these jackets were modified many times from 1935-45 and sometimes were worn by different people during the period as well. Insignia was changed, alterations were made, changes in rank or unit could necessitate various modifications.
                Chris, I really appreciate you writing back, I feel much better about this Tunic.
                Best,
                Eddie
                P.S.
                Great Tunics in the "Combat Worn Tunics" thread!

Comment

Would these Shoulder Boards be suitable to finish this Feldbluse if I wanted this to be an Infantry piece?

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...shoulderboards

Thanks,
                  Eddie

Comment

In looking at the first photo, it looks like you bite your toe nails

Comment

doomtown

The infantry shoulderboards from the E-stand that you linked are modern reproduction, you can clearly see it on the structure of the white cloth!

I can not understand they are still up for sale as originals...

Comment

Originally posted by Reggu View Post
                        doomtown

The infantry shoulderboards from the E-stand that you linked are modern reproduction, you can clearly see it on the structure of the white cloth!

I can not understand they are still up for sale as originals...
                        Oh geez! Thanks for the heads up!

Comment

I would go with sew in boards as that is the way it was originally set up. Any combat waffenfarbe would work well with this jacket. Just try to match the wear on the insignia to match the wear on the tunic.

Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by stroh View Post
                            I would go with sew in boards as that is the way it was originally set up. Any combat waffenfarbe would work well with this jacket. Just try to match the wear on the insignia to match the wear on the tunic.

Good Luck!
                            I found a nice set of Infantry tabs, so i think I will go that route. Just checked the Feldbluse, and you are right, the shoulders have been opened up for sew in shoulder boards.

Do these look ok? The wear looks like they would match well, don't you think?
                            http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...light=leutnant

Thanks,
                            Eddie

Comment

The last pair you posted are really nice!

Comment

It looks sort of like the depot stamp is for Stettin, what do you guys think, is it too faded to tell?
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 5 users online. 0 members and 5 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Today.

Working...
                                X