CEJ Books

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you guys see anything wrong with this Generals Uniform?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would concur here as well...eagle definitely reapplied, collar tabs potentiall reapplied. Shoulder boards look good.

Would need to see the reverse collar tabs to be sure.

Best regards,

Jason

Originally posted by Langemark View Post
    Hello to all,

- eagle average quality but original and reapplied,
    - collar tabs in celleon are original, possibly reapplied,
    - shoulder boards original.
    - pants are OK,

Best,

Mark

Comment

Tunic

With the name tag saying he was an Oberst when the tunic was tailored then all the insignia were actually replaced at some point. The main thing is determining whether they are actually replaced pre 45 or post 45? The tabs are beauties...not so much for the eagle. I would lean towards the eagle not being the one that was on the tunic at the end of the war simply because it's not of very good quality and it more than likely would have been a cellulon eagle. When was he promoted to general, that could help the eagle debate?? My 3 1/3 cents....Alex

Comment

Originally posted by Z19 View Post
        With the name tag saying he was an Oberst when the tunic was tailored then all the insignia were actually replaced at some point. The main thing is determining whether they are actually replaced pre 45 or post 45? The tabs are beauties...not so much for the eagle. I would lean towards the eagle not being the one that was on the tunic at the end of the war simply because it's not of very good quality and it more than likely would have been a cellulon eagle. When was he promoted to general, that could help the eagle debate?? My 3 1/3 cents....Alex
        I'd say that half of the eagles that I see on General's tunics appear to me to be Coastal Artillery officer eagles anyway. I don't know if any or all of those seen were period used on these tunics or not. This looks to me to be possible KM CA but others can weigh in on it.

It is NOT sewn on in the same manner as the tabs...telling me that different people did the work...probably.

I agree that celleon would be the most expected in this case, but I find it perfectly alright and proper that bullion be correct. 65 years ago I bet that the color of this bullion looks pretty good with the celleon.

Gosh I have to add one more thing: I wish I could ever be so confident in a case like this to use the word definite or the phrase "for sure" when judging the application of insignia.....I would love to know the secret. I mean we all know that the tunic was upgraded and proabaly orignally during the war. Maybe we could say that this eagle has been sewn on a tunic before this application....but that is still not 100% to say that this application was done priod to May 45 (insigina was re-used during the war) ...so ....

Last points: If the eagle was perfectly sewn, would everyone say it was period applied? Also, if it is a slam dunk that the eagle is re-sewn, how much does it impact tunic value? $100 or $5000 or some where between? Does it mean that that the whole tunic is no longer "untouched" and therefore junk that should be used by re-enactors and for dog bedding? Just wondering.
        Last edited by phild; 07-13-2011, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Worth of course is in the eye of the beholder. Reapplied insignia obviously decrease the value of a tunic as it is no longer untouched. By how much hard to say, but I would venture to say 1/3. In most cases I however would not buy a tunic that has clearly reapplied insignia on it. So in my case a tunic would have to be really cheap or very rare (let us say a Luft kleiner Rock) for me to be tempted to go for one with reapplied insignia. Even then I would only go for one with a reapplied eagle as many tunics had the eagle stripped at the end of WWII so for me that is not a biggy. Reapplied collar insignia is for me a different matter.

Comment

Even though collectors apply a more critical eye, professional standards within the military exist.

No way someone of this rank would have appeared with such a sloppy job of sewing as on this eagle.

I have seen hand applies insignia done by little old ladies in Germany post war for GIs that put this to shame.

My grandmother, an accomplished seamstress, sewed a lot of eagles on for me in the 60s that were just as good and put this to shame.

I was in a unit with high uniform standards.
            If you stood morning formation with sloppily sewn insignia, it would have been peeled off and handed to you.
            MLP

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X