UniformsNSDAP

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

opinions of Gebirgsjäger wool coat? help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

q

Here are the shoulder boards that came with it. (i took them off because I was going to sell the jacket and keep the boards)
    Attached Files

Comment

back
      Attached Files

Comment

Image saved for posterity. Converted LW model which is further proof that these are post war civilian use
        adaptions, modified with civy buttons, modified collar/shortened and no shoulderstraps nor loops...
        No doubt that's what the "GJ" one looked like before it was re-restored back to armed forces look.
        That's my opinion. They probably had an entire cottage industry devoted to converting these for
        post war use, as Germany was in shambles and everything was in demand, especially warm clothing.

Nice GJ insignia and M44 straps btw!
        Attached Files
        Last edited by NickG; 03-14-2010, 01:52 AM.

Comment

Hi,

to me this seems like a civilian coat that has been "upgraded". For instance: the lining is nothing like I am familiar with in militairy clothing, including tailor made. This model has always been popular in the Alp regions ...

The straps seem OK to me though ... but the shade of green is too light for it to be GJ ...

MfG,
          Bart

Comment

IMO it is WH overcoat modified post War. The one Nick posted was dyed black which was Occupation policy at least in US areas for the wear of ex-military clothing. Not all of it was dyed but a lot of it. They had scheduled days to bring things to the Stadthalle in the town I was stationed in to have them dyed black.

Comment

The lining is thick wool blanket, the kind like you would see in a late war sentry's guard overcoat/greatcoat.

Comment

Grüß Di' Norman,

I have a very similar wool Windjacke, though mine is made from fine Gabardine wool with sewn-in Hauptmann shoulderboards:

The sleeve Edelweiss shows some moth nipping:

On the left side of the jacket are some loops for a ribbon bar:

In the interior is a makers hanging loop:

And the left inside lining has a pocket as well as sizing marks:

There are signs of previous button holes having been sewn up, so it seems that this jacket has had a former life as something else...perhaps an Italian officer coat?

Berg Heil!

Comment

That last one is a very interesting coat in Italian Gabardine. I have never seen a jacket made to take ribbon bar. Interesting example.

Comment

Thanks for your help guys! I put it up in the bazzar section of the e-stand (I got it at an estate sale so there is no dealer to send it back to). Even though there is some debate about it, I listed it as a post war modified WH greatcoat.

Comment

Ok! I just came across this;

http://web.iwebcenters.com/grenadier...tem158891.ctlg

A well known trustworthy dealer. And its just like mine. Are we sure this is not original??

Comment

Hi Norman, It's mine and original; IMO it's a kleiderkasse private purchase. The buttons are SS marked long stem leather greatcoat buttons. I think yours is also a nice wartime tailored example. I love that Gabardine example as well.

Thanks Guys, Mark

Comment

Knew I should have bought it..
                          Billbert

Comment

I'm not a fan of these items... I never saw periode photos of them being in use. IMO these are all post war converted coats...
                            http://www.sandeboetiek.com

sigpic

Comment

Absolutely a cut down greatcoat. The question is, was it modified this way before or after the war? IMO this is almost certainly a post-war modification for civilian use.

Comment

I saw the aplication of the edelweiss, and it's perfect. The shoulder board loops were also fine. I had good feelings about the whole coat. Just looking for a tunic first...

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X