No announcement yet.

Tropical Luftwaffe Blue Tunic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not scientific but my gut tells me these are the same shorts as in the photo, with repairs afterwards of course.
    Attached Files

Comment

Ben,
      I would spring for the shorts since it is from the same vet (don't worry I won't bid against you) They would look great together on display. Perhaps the seller can scan you some photos or documents to keep the history as intact as it can get? Did he spend any time in Tunisia? I can't tell you how many tropical groupings I have seen split up in the past 15 years since I started collecting DAK items....very sad. I love the tunic by the way

Comment

Originally posted by BenVK View Post
        Should I buy the shorts? 50 euros.

....unquestionably yes, they would look great together.

Comment

I'll get them.

Comment

Also the soldat in the center of the photo looks to be wearing a Herr M40 cap.

Comment

Originally posted by tropenmilitaria View Post
              Ben,
              I would spring for the shorts since it is from the same vet (don't worry I won't bid against you) They would look great together on display. Perhaps the seller can scan you some photos or documents to keep the history as intact as it can get? Did he spend any time in Tunisia? I can't tell you how many tropical groupings I have seen split up in the past 15 years since I started collecting DAK items....very sad. I love the tunic by the way
              I don't know about Tunisia. Can anything be learn't from the entries in the soldbuch? I am certainly not an expert in this area.

Thanks for all the positive comments about the tunic. The seller said he doesn't keep stuff in this poor condition which is why he split the group and put some of it back on ebay and to be honest, the tunic cost me next to nothing.

Comment

The only dates I see from a quick glance are dated 1944 so too late for Tunisia. Still a neat grouping if you can get the shorts!

Comment

Now I'm confused. The HG pulled out of Italy in July 44 yet the entry in his book, as pointed out, is 1/12/1944? How could have he been a POW in Italy with a soldbuch dated December 44? something aint right here.

Comment

Now I'm confused. The HG pulled out of Italy in July 44 yet the entry in his book, as pointed out, is 1/12/1944? How could have he been a POW in Italy with a soldbuch dated December 44? something aint right here.
                    Not all of the HG Division surrendered to the Russians. So perhaps he made to the west and was captured then handed over to a POW camp in Italy?

Comment

Could be. I read today that one POW camp in Italy was still in operation until 1947 at least. Actualy, it makes for a very interesting read, especially about Ukrainian SS.
                      http://www.dpcamps.org/rimini.html

Comment

Interesting photo from that camp.
                        Attached Files

Comment

It is the camo shirts that intrigue me, Ben. With the better photo, they almost look like shortened combat jackets.

The only observation that I've got is that the tunic is a large tunic for such a svelte soldier (can svelte go with soldier?). Better than a US size 40 jacket. Not something to wig out about - but I'd be interested to know the size markings in the shorts.

Definitely get the shorts. Congrats, Ben.

Comment

3. I think Klenk is on the left.
                            Ben, we all know that this is Wilhelm.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Ben,

You are having quite the luck jumping into the tropical my friend! Definatly get the shorts, be a great matched set, especially with the wear and all that. Matt

Comment

Ben,
                                A fantastic find. I'm sure that I saw this but since I don't collect Luftwaffe you didn't have to worry about me trying to add it to the collection.
                                I've seen a few of these blue tunics faded to tan. They certainly do have character.
                                Definitely get those shorts and best of luck with the cap.

Mark

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X