Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hartmann Flight Jacket?

Hello again

Another Luftwaffe flight Jacket was offered to me.

Looks identical to a Hartmann Jacket but I'm not sure

Zipps are Eclair(also French made)

Thank you for your comments and suggestions

Regards

Javier

Lw1.jpg

[ATTACH]1105011[/ATTACH]

Comment

[ATTACH]1105012[/ATTACH]

Comment

[ATTACH]1105017[/ATTACH]

Comment

[ATTACH]1105022[/ATTACH]

Comment

[ATTACH]1105024[/ATTACH]

Comment

The typical French cyclist jacket, often used by German fighter pilots.

I never saw such a light cream linen in one of these jackets, but that means nothing, there were a hundred different styles on the inside. Perhaps the pic show it appearing newer than it is in reality, can You see some wear inside?

Would be great to have a pic from the back side and some detail shots of the zippers (all three) and the buckle.

From the first glance it looks okay, what means nothing more than it could be really a French-made cyclist jacket ... be aware they were produced before and after the war, and found widespread use with French civilians.

Oh, and there are very good repros on the market, from Eastman for example.

Edit: I was too fast, first detail pics just coming in ...
              Last edited by RamJet; 12-25-2008, 11:21 AM.

Comment

This is not my field but only an observation. Hard wear on the exterior - minty inside - not even a sweat stain?

Comment

That's why I ask for a closer inspection. I have such a jacket with normal wear on the inside and on photos it looks like the linen was brand new, don't know how it comes, it is one of the mysteries of digital photography, I suppose ...

Comment

Looking closer, I do not like the buckle. It looks too new and it is exactly of the style used on the Eastman repros ...

Comment

Looks like someone is trying to recreate my original that is on Tod Rathbone's site
                      WAF LIFE COACH

Comment

Hi

Thanks for the replys

Pic of the Back

7.jpg

Comment

Agreed, its a typical period French made "Abbeville boys" type (flight) jacket as often privately obtained in France by LW pilots.
                          I have a close twin but with different lining (plaid) and similar buckle but plain design, other than that very close to this style,
                          which is a typical of the period. That the back is made of 1 piece of leather is also a very good sign!,

I like it, even tough you can never proof that it ever made contact with the inside fuselage of a fighter plane...
                          If it has wear in certain areas that are consistant with a cramped cockpit, that might strengthen the case.

Comment

Agree, back looks nice.

Perhaps it's only the light on the pic, but I still wonder why the buckle doesn't show some wear from using on the metal surface. Look at the close-up of the Eclair zipper and You see what I mean.

Comment

The buckle is OK IMO..
                              I think the jacket is fine, but hard to tell what period..

Jos.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X