WöschlerOrden

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pioneer Service Tunic, date information?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pioneer Service Tunic, date information?

Hi,
    okay I know this is an early tunic, what would the dated be this type of tunic was manufactured, is no dates label etc inside the coat.In 1928 they reduced the number of buttons from 8 to 6 on these early tunics with slanted pockets. This is pre 1928 yes? Any knowledge on these tunics would be appreciated. Being older makes it more or less valuable or no affect? Why I ask I have been offered $1200AU with the low $US and high $AU that would buy some new items I have been after. The offer was from a dealer but money is money is it a good price, I imagined these would be on a par with waffenrocks. Opinions advice welcome. I like the tunic but acquiring Pioneer Cap to match it would not be easy or cheap. I have a nice eagle to go on the tunic. If this is pre 1928 would it have been in use till 1945 I have seen Generals wearing early tunics 1943/44 but Generals are Generals. I must say the material is first rate of highest quality. Anyone know of a heap visor.
    cheers Robert
    Attached Files
    Last edited by RobertCOUTTS; 06-07-2008, 07:17 PM. Reason: add writing

Pioneer Tunic

a few award loops, probably WW1 awards or not I dont know.
    Attached Files

Comment

Pioneer Tunic

early collar tabs, original to tunic IMO.
      Attached Files

Comment

Pioneer Tunic

liner, has dagger hangar.
        cheers robert
        Attached Files

Comment

G'day, Robert.

From knowledge imparted to me by a couple of experienced collector/author friends in the US, I understand your tunic to be "old style." The "new style" had 6 buttons.

I think it's difficult to put a hard and fast date on it. I have a general's tunic with 8 buttons, but the tailor label is dated 1932 when the wearer was an oberstleutnant.

Probably personal preference played a major part in styles, buttons etc.

Pity about the eagle, but a nice tunic nevertheless.

Regards,

Mike

Comment

Very nice tunic. And yes, the pionier caps are pretty pricey if you are looking to purchase a nice quality example. I still need a good NCO cap for my pionier waffenrock set.

Comment

That jacket in its original Weimar configuration lacked the breast eagle obviously which was later added and post war it became denazified...The uniform for sure started life with sew-in boards... the Weimar standard for such rock uniforms.
              Many pre TR uniforms were upgraded with eagles (here removed) and worn thru war's end... NO problem there...BUT the rank would have had to be much higher in those 17 years (1928-1945...), one would expect...if its indeed from around 1928 (based on button count), so its been restored with a low (1st LT) officer's rank. Nice piece but played with is my guess... I would fix it with a bullion breast eagle and higher rank sew-in boards, which would go better with its age (button count issue)! Nice piece!
              Nick
              Last edited by NickG; 06-07-2008, 11:31 PM.

Comment

Generals were allowed to wear this type of tunic until the end of the War, all others were allowed to wear it until March 31st 1941 but there are pictures of it being worn later. These tunics continued to be tailor made based on preference probably at least until the 1942 date. The six and eight button distinction pertains to issue clothing, 8 button tunics and 6 button tunics could be worn by officers until 1942. Yours probably dates to the early 1930 and has had the collar replaced to the green badge cloth from the old style collar which is very common. Nice tunic, it is odd to see loops for straps on these.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X