Issue winter full length cheap camo smock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US Veteran souvenir Wehrmacht schneehemd

This 2nd example Wehrmacht schneehemd I like a lot. Pebbled buttons in correct white, a correct Roman numeral size stamp (like I mentioned in post 7) , just as I would have expected to see on such garments, and even an RBNr stamp, so obviously a later model. Great item! Nick

Comment

I like those buttons also and wish mine were like that however I believe the buttons on mine might still be original to the smock as all four buttons are damaged buttons having squashed/dents in the front like the button in the number #4 photo. Also they do not match the condition of the smock and they appear to have been previousy used. They certianly would not have been acceptable to be used on any normal uniform. It's possible that the contractor just used the rejected or damaged buttons he had on hand for the smock, especailly if the type of buttons were'nt specified in the contract. Also all the back marks are not the same.
      And again, the button sewing appears to be original, or at least the first sewing of any button on the smock. Some other thoughts are, I think it would be fairly unusual post war for any dealer or collector to have, or to find, four of the same style aluminium buttons with dents to use. But a war time uniform contractor, especially if he was also repairing used unifoms, would probably have a supply of them to use. Anyway, just some thoughts, and probably will never know either way. Ray
      Last edited by RayG; 12-25-2007, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Sorry to bring this topic up again but I just had to post this!

I believe the mystery is finally solved about whether the buttons are original to the period of the smock or not.
        I don't know why I didn't think of this before but it finally dawned on me to check to see if the thread used to sew on the buttons matched the thread on the rest of the smock. And when I did check, there is no question but the button thread is "exactly" the same as can be seen in the photo were it is matched to a loose thread on one of the seams. The seam thread is a bit closer to the camera but both threads are the same weight and twist. Also all the thread on the smock is the same as the button thread.
        So I think it leaves little doubt but that the buttons were sewn on at the time the smock was made. At least it clears up the button question as I would have always wondered, Ray

Last edited by RayG; 01-01-2008, 07:23 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X