Issue winter full length cheap camo smock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Issue winter full length cheap camo smock

Here's something I just picked up that is not seen too often. A cheap/ inexpensive but well made "issue" white camo smock made out of what appears to be muslin material and made to fit over the uniform and helmet for winter camo ware. You see a lot of photos with troops wearing similar items. It even has pleats sewn in the back for expansion and quality sewn hemmed slits on each side to enable the wearer to reach under inside it and four metal buttons and tie straps to tighten it around the helmet and face. I showed it to a couple collectors and they had no problems with it however they have never seen one before to compare it to nor have I, Ray.
    Last edited by RayG; 12-04-2007, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Nice find Ray. You sure don't see one of these every day.

Comment

schneehemd

These are called in German "schneehemd", an over-garment solely for camoflage purposes...with no properties to keep warm whatsoever...
              The shiny pebbled buttons don't belong on it I feel... So that raises the question: was it converted with those (post war) buttons and a (fresh looking ) size stamp to make it look German?
              With such over-garments I would expect to see a sizing system with Roman numerals like size I, II,III etc... not these uniform size stamps... but perhaps that was a later system if this is an early garment!
              Do the size numbers correspond with the measurements (in cm) like sleeve lenghth?
              The (replacement) buttons are not even hollow backed which you would expect with most field items...(other than these snow shirts)... Other countries also used these camo shirts you see... Its a tricky item... I would have preferred seeing other buttons on it and a different sizing stamp... Looks questionable to me, I hope I'm wrong!!!
              Compare with this one! Note buttons!
              http://www.germanmilitaria.com/Heer/photos/H011857.html
              and here is another one that looks like yours; same material and pleats in the back area where the hood attaches (Czech made?) but it appears to be a pull over design...so no buttons...
              http://cgi.ebay.com/German-WW2-winte...QQcmdZViewItem
              Nick
              Last edited by NickG; 12-03-2007, 03:08 PM.

Comment

I have one of these which I bought in the early 70s. The buttons are the white pressed paper type. These are actually a very rare camouflage item.

Comment

Nick, the buttons appear to be made of very light weight/gauge aluminium metal not as heavy a gauge as the regular uniform buttoms. They are very light. One is stamped "Extra Fine" and one has the initials "H&B" stamped on them. I don't know if these would be post war or not. One of the collectors I spoke with did say he has seen these buttons on war time items before. I should have asked on what.
                  I'm not sure what the sizes that are stamped in the smock refer to but in inches the sleeve lenght from the top seem to the cuff end is about 26-27"
                  The length from the top of the collar to the bottom in the back is about 48"-49"
                  Ray

Last edited by RayG; 12-03-2007, 11:56 AM. Reason: added photo

Comment

Oops, that's Extra "Fein" not fine, Ray

Comment

Some more observations. I examined the smock well and there was no trace of any other stamps or markings ever having been on it. So it looks like the size and mfg stamp is original to it unless there never were any markings before The smock was never washed which would account for the fresh looking stamp.

In regard to the buttons, it also appears that they were original to the it as I can see no evidence that other buttons had been on it. I suppose this is not a given as the thread of the buttons on it could be covering up any evidence of past thread and also the loose weave muslin material may not show past holes.
                      Black light shows no glowing indication of non cotton material.
                      The button holes are professional sewn.
                      Ray

Comment

Snow cover

There are pictures of "smocks" like this being worn very early in the War during patrols and skirmishes with the French during the 1939/40 Winter on the southern border and also later in the War in the history of the 7th SS by Kumm. Not sure about the buttons, I would expect to see white paper or plastic on something like this. The ones on there now are tailor quality dress buttons.

Comment

Originally posted by RayG View Post
                          Nick, the buttons appear to be made of very light weight/gauge aluminium metal not as heavy a gauge as the regular uniform buttoms. They are very light. One is stamped "Extra Fine" and one has the initials "H&B" stamped on them. I don't know if these would be post war or not. One of the collectors I spoke with did say he has seen these buttons on war time items before. I should have asked on what.
                          I'm not sure what the sizes that are stamped in the smock refer to but in inches the sleeve lenght from the top seem to the cuff end is about 26-27"
                          The length from the top of the collar to the bottom in the back is about 48"-49"
                          Ray

So its probably a good piece after all and the mint stamp reflects the condition of the smock,
                          BUT with irregular (non matching) buttons, either period applied (because that's all they had to work with?...) or period replacements or a later post war restoration application.

Comment

Photos

I suspect with the factory name it is early War. Here is a picture of a similar piece of clothing being worn in 1943 from Kumms book on Prinz Eugen.
                            Attached Files

Comment

1939/40

This is a photo from a raid on a French position somewhere in the south of France 1939/40. This is probably the same type of garment. I think the buttons may have have been replaced on your example. In other pictures they appear to be white plastic or paper. The backed buttons on yours are not typically found on issue clothing. They may even be East German. The smock is the best part anyway. Nice rare piece of early camo.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X