• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LW Paar Tropenklappen für einen Sanitätsfeldwebel

Interesting . . .

Comment

Boards

Yes it is interesting. I could make those in a week with a certain electronic device and a solution of chemicals that shall not be mentioned here. Is there sunfading under the pips and staff.

Comment

Anything is possible . . . .

Hi John,

This item is listed on German eBay. I forgot to post the link. Yes - the sun fading and discoloration can be faked. It is a tricky proposition to tell sometimes.

LW Tropical tress is very hard to find, perhaps that is why they used the subdued grey tress.

MfG,

Diane

Comment

Hello Diane,

The materials and construction of those Luft. Sanit. straps are perfect, but the light color of the Waffenfarbe is troublesome. Subdued tresse was used on tropical staps later in the war, but (IMHO) not in Africa. I have Sanit. straps from Africa, the tresse is copper and the farbe is very dark blue. If the straps you posted are reproductions we are all in big trouble!

John
          Esse Quam Videri

Comment

New straps

What worries me the most is the aging and fading is very uneven and there is minimal visible physical wear. Also note the tress stitching is the same as the construction for the body of the boards. Is this the same seller that had the Feldpost straps? I don't like these too much because of the above, I agree construction is perfect as far as what looks like wartime materials. I am hesitant to discuss possibilities of what I think is going on in public as to not provide fuel for a potential fire. That said I am a bit worried. The fieldpost boards still bother me a bit too. I like seeing stuff that has no "maybes" although we all know many "non-textbook" variations exisited etc.

Comment

LW Tropical Straps

Hi John,

Actually the Waffenfarbe piping is right on. The top of the straps are clearly sun faded - hence the grey-blue looking waffenfarbe.

But one looks at the reverse - the dark blue rayon waffenfarbe is perfect.

I really think these LW straps are good and would love to examine them.

Diane

Comment

what looks strange is that the blue rayon piping has stained the undetrside of the shoulder boards, maybe it coul have been done so by artificial bleeching, could be modern, maybe it s old i just cant say.
                what do you guys think??

Cheers

Alex

Comment

Originally posted by Diane View Post

But one looks at the reverse - the dark blue rayon waffenfarbe is perfect.
                  Diane
                  Hi Diane,

I was speaking of the underside when I questioned the color. Perhaps the bottom is faded as well, but if the photos are correct, the farbe is too light a blue. Correct Sanits blue is very dark. That the Farbe would fade is still troublesome; I have some very faded straps where only the Farbe remained colorfast.

And yes Alex, the bleaching onto the tan fabric is odd, have never seen this happen before. As I said, Farbe is very colorfast.

I believe the straps are good too, like I said, materials and construction are perfect.
                  John
                  Last edited by John Hodgin; 08-28-2007, 10:42 AM.
                  Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Caveat emptor

You guys seem to underestimate the talent of some of the people that are making fake boards and other items now in Eastern Europe, especially Prague etc.

How many very expensive shoulder boards could you make be recovering original fabric from LW tan tunics etc. versus what it would cost to buy beat up tunics, even Army tropicals. How hard would it be to pop off "continental' tress from a blue LW board and drop it on a newly made tropical?

I am not saying they are not real but I would very very careful in buying these without a solid background on them. Look at the threads in the loops, these have not appear to have been worn, how did they get sunfaded if they were not used?

Why is only the piping not faded on the underside but the cloth body of the boards is more faded than the top side? Why?

All I see is a button indentation that looks like what happens when a glass case pushes against a strap for a long time and the impression of the pin or piece of wood on the back that held a button in place.

I prefer to be sure. There are too many questions for me, There is a huge market for these, we all know often when someone wants to find "real ones' a lot of commonsense flies out the window. I don't like these, just MO.
                    Last edited by Johnny R; 08-28-2007, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jhodgson View Post
                      Why is only the piping not faded on the underside but the cloth body of the boards is more faded than the top side? Why?
                      If they are indeed repros, why goof up the piping in the first place? Not saying the odd fading makes them seem good, just wondering why bleach them if they were made last year? In this case of perfect construction and materials, mint would be more desirable.
                      Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Like said the color of the piping should not fade to white areas that easy.., also the blue paint is visible on the fabric IMO.

Jos.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Rayon fabric Piping "bleed"

Hi Jos,

This isn't paint, but fabric dye "bleed".

German dyes were generally known for their color-fast qualities but this is not always the case.

Almost all dyes will bleed given time and the right circumstances. Also, there is a possibility that the piping was dyed blue at some point. I have seen period infantry shoulder boards dyed pink or red for example. It was done, sometimes with really good effect, sometimes not.

It is a hard call really.

MfG,

Diane

Comment

Boards

I am done, it is a matter of opinions. To each their own. I would be very surprised if these are more than six months old.

Comment

2 Schulterstücke des Afrikakorps, 2.WK - Deutsch

Another set of Luftwaffe Tropical straps.

Notice how the red piping appears to be bleeding on the reverse. What is the chance of running into two pair like this?

Link to eBay listing

Comment

Boards

These also look to me like fakes too, no wear, none at all evident. Has anyone seen boards like these at shows in Germany or other places in Europe recently? ?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X