General's tunic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rkdek View Post
    "Is there a possibility of someone having bought the insignia to apply to a tunic they already owned, only to turn it around as an original through the same dealer???. I do not recall seeing the tunic as a separate item on Weitze's site... Not trying to take the wind out of the Lynching mob, just trying to explore all possible scenarios. Lets face it, collector's are equally guilty of messing with original items, adding insignia etc...."

Harry, exactly the same thought crossed my mind but I didn't post it afraid of the reactions it may cause
    Oh come on and get real guys. Look around the site. First off this is not the first time for a questionable tunic. Secondly all you have to do is look at his headgear, SS items, etc, etc. The guy is not squeaky clean. Of course this is just one mans opinion.

Bnz.42, too damm funny.

Comment

About 4 months ago, kai Winkler had 4 panzer wraps for sale.
      Not one was unquestionable...
      In the ss forum, there is a cloth totenkopf posted from Winkler, wchich is one of the most known fakes.

You can't tell me that these guys, who are in the TR bussiness for years don't know what is good and what is bad, what is untouched and what is modified.

Comment

Originally posted by glaubenssoldat View Post
        Interesting post.

I've also put alot of serious doubt on items because of the ability of skilled people being able to fake them. For example, I come from a line of German tailors (father, grandfather, great grandfather) and didn't really think anything about the machinery or materials we've had laying around the shop/house until the other day when I went to tailor up a gift for my girlfriend

Going through some of the supplies I found old Stocko and PRYM snaps, period zippers, and period sewing machines to boot (a Pfaff from the 1920s and some Singers)... I started talking to my father about that and explaining the what WW2 items they were used for and then explained how common it is for tailors (not only German ones) who have been in the trade for awhile to have such materials... so if I wanted to already I'd be able to fool people inspecting snaps, stitching, zippers and what not - though I won't

now what's to prevent someone from taking an old tunic or jacket and using these machines and materials to spruce it up a bit... I don't have the time or money to do anything like that, but my father was saying that there are plenty of tailors out there that some faker could easily find that would

After this experience and seeing this post I'll now be extra careful when inspecting tunics (especially "private purchase" ones)... I dunno, maybe I should quit my job and start a repro business
        That´s exactly how some of the dealers do it! Buy entire old tailor´s shops and start earning money...

Comment

A guy that I know bought some stocks of german WWII wool some years ago.
          He took them to a tailor and had overseas caps and M43 caps made out of it.

He sold them as repro's, but with some aging, they could do the trick and fool a lot of people.

Comment

To those who seem to think there is a reasonable explanation I ask you this.

So what are the odds that some “crook” buys the tabs from Weitze, then humps up an arty tunic and then sells it back to the same guy he bought the tabs from?????? The odds are about 1,000,000 to 1. Second the “crook would have to be dumb as all hell seeing Weitze has photos of the tabs with a noticeable moth hole. What more proof do you need, a videotape of him doing it? Winkler and Weitze are pretty much interchangeable, in fact I see the same stuff jumping site –to-site. Between the two I don’t think they have had too many generals or SS tunic that did not have some unanswered questions.

Comment

Harry and Dennis:
              The former General's insignia set (tabs and shoulderboards) first disappeared from Weitzes website after the update where the tunic appeared. By the way the shoulderboards are still there up for sale.
              So for me there are only 2 possible explanations:
              1.) Weitze knows all about this amazing sewing job
              2.) This tabs on the tunic are cloned.
              Well you may ask now: If its possible with sheep why not with collar tabs?

Great pics bnz42

Bob

Comment

NTZ,
                Don't worry, I am not defending dealer's per se, I am merely highlighting the fact that there are also collectors out there buyining up insignia to add to period stripped pieces to restore items to their 'original'(?) state..Not necessarily for financial enhancement, but who knows how these items will be passed on in years to come..
                Last edited by Harry; 12-26-2006, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Well, I think we're all big boys here & hopefully take responsibility for our own decisions. If you want to collect the big-league items, you had better have big-league knowledge of what you collect...otherwise you pay the consequences.

To me, collecting is all about the hunt & learning about the item...not just throwing a whole lot of money to a dealer just to impress other collectors. Learning about the artifacts is hard work...that's why we're all here, I hope. If you think the easy way is to simply rely on a dealer's knowledge and reputation, then you are no better than lambs being led to slaughter.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Paul McKee View Post
                    Well, I think we're all big boys here & hopefully take responsibility for our own decisions. If you want to collect the big-league items, you had better have big-league knowledge of what you collect...otherwise you pay the consequences.

To me, collecting is all about the hunt & learning about the item...not just throwing a whole lot of money to a dealer just to impress other collectors. Learning about the artifacts is hard work...that's why we're all here, I hope. If you think the easy way is to simply rely on a dealer's knowledge and reputation, then you are no better than lambs being led to slaughter.

Paul
                    I agree Paul! best wishes,
                    jeff
                    Looking for a 30 '06 Chauchat magazine.

Comment

Of interest to me is that there has been no comment from the dealer who surely must be aware of this thread and discussion by now. This type of news posted on an open internet forum surely would not go unnoticed.
                      Richard V

Comment

OMG!!!! The pictures are too hilarious!!!
                        Well done!!!

Comment

I not following this topic completly but I'm realy 'surpriced' (again) of a restiched Weitze tunic, if he did this one so good how many others where sold over the years I never bought a tunic there, you just can't trust him. Damm those fabric pictures make my boring day good! Nice job
                          http://www.sandeboetiek.com

sigpic

Comment

I think that if Weitze would live in Italy, someone would have take him for the ears!!
                            Alex

Comment

There is no such word as a fraudless dealer.

Comment

There is no such word as a fraudless dealer (Steiner).

Right, and there is no such thing as a fraudless collector either!
                                Tom

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X