• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Detail of rear of colar
    Attached Files

Comment

Hey Scott,

The buttons look similar to the DAF type you sometimes see. You sure theres no ink stamp. There is a certain type of white ink that appears invisible unless held up to the light at the correct angle. I have one like that.Bob Hritz has a similar that he had for years and never saw the stamping until we played with it in different light settings. Sometimes they fade away but this one doesn't look that worn.Maybe picked up straight from the depot before it was stamped . That might mean re applied insignia- There are folks out there that can hand stitch without removing the liner. Mr Singers correct that most fakes would be stamped. Can't see any red flags (speaking of the tunic only).Is the base cloth okay? Correct cross hatch(some repros also exhibit this feature), old smell, any mothing? WR Jim

Comment

Hello JIm..I've reviewed the stitching under high power lupe..the stitching is definitely machine..too tight and consistent to be attempted /accomplished by hand..interfacing/bias looks fine to me..weight of cloth is sturdy. I'll recheck for sign of any faint stampings..
        The eagle application again I like...so..one of two theories.in my opinion..either a good piece..or ground up repro...unless I someone can really point to details that are real red flags.I have to discount the ground up repro..the piping on the colar tabs picked up "white"under flash..but does have anice patina to it..and is not birght white.

Interestingly as well...in two places of the interior of the jacket some pieces of scrap wool is used..also..in some of the finish sewing done by both machine and hand (ie..the reforcement thread used under the colar to reinforce where the collar meets the lapel...and the machine stitched reinforcement for the belt hook support) and are also finished in a different color coton thread..a heavier luft blue. I do always like it when I see more than one type of thread used in a piece..as they were mostly production line assembly.and not everyone always worked off the same color thread on their large and smaller spools. So to me..that is a good sign. There is also nothing new iin the smell of any of the materials used.
        Last edited by Scott A. Hess; 03-05-2006, 03:34 AM.

Comment

Detail of the eagle's stitching (sewing to the jacket) would be helpful at this juncture.

B. N. Singer

Comment

Scott, For what it is worth, I had a similar set some years ago with the same basic features: synthetically-piped tabs, blue-backed national emblem attched in zig-zag fashion, same lining fabric, same buttons, and also without discernable markings. The accompanying trousers, however, were LBA marked. The jacket never had a sleevetitle. I have attached a scan of a 35mm print for your potential interest. I may have some photos of interior details and will see if I can find them. Good luck.
            Attached Files

Comment

While the jacket looks like an original wrapper, I don't think, based on what is both present and not present, that this wrapper started out life as an HG piece. The lack of markings is a real eyebrow raiser, and the substitution of a blue backed eagle instead of a black one doesn't make much sense to me. Of course "anything's possible" but still, it doesn't give me a warm fuzzy.
              WAF LIFE COACH

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D.
                Scott, For what it is worth, I had a similar set some years ago with the same basic features: synthetically-piped tabs, blue-backed national emblem attched in zig-zag fashion, same lining fabric, same buttons, and also without discernable markings. The accompanying trousers, however, were LBA marked. The jacket never had a sleevetitle. I have attached a scan of a 35mm print for your potential interest. I may have some photos of interior details and will see if I can find them. Good luck.

Thanks Mike..comparing a few details I see..I think I have your old jacket.and I also have the accompanying trousers..also LBA 44 marked ..hat as well..although I dont know the hat was yours once.but Im pretty sure the jacket and pants were!

Comment

Close up of eagle.best I could do..Im quite comfortable its machine done and not hand.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hello MIke...I know where I got my set. Can you detail the pedigree as to prior to your ownership of the set? thanks
                    P.S. Im also convinced that the hat I have also previously belonged to you. Notice the ever so slight "bluish" tint/hue to the black HG overseas cap...this is not an anomoly inherent in the photo..but is also apparent in viewing the cap in natural lighting. All in all..as youve pointed out..the exact same set..its nice to know finally from where it came and its prior ownership as well.I sincerely appreciate you help with this set.
                    Last edited by Scott A. Hess; 03-06-2006, 02:59 AM.

Comment

Hi Scott,

Thank you for the additional pictures.

The blue eagle on your jacket does not concern me overly; although many would expect and hope to see a "true HG" on black eagle instead.

Again from you pictures it seems as though there is nothing wrong with the coat; and evidently it has a Good pedigree coming from Mike D (he knows of where he speaks with this stuff).

There are one or two bothersome points, and for me to be completely comfortable with the piece, I am afraid that I would need to be able to examine it in person.

Sorry, that is about the best I can do over the Internet and from your pictures.

B. N. Singer

Comment

I defer to Mr. Singer on wrappers, but I like this set and am comfortable with it. I especially like the breast eagle and think it is original to the wrapper. While, as Mr. Singer stated, it would be preferred to have the eagle backed on black wool, this eagle is a late war design that it also found on jump smocks. The markings would probably show up using UV photography.
                        Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Thanks to all who were kind enough to take the time to view the pics and help with this piece.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X