Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M such and such

Hi all,

The Quetschfalte is the center fold on the pocket naming it the pleated pocket. As the M designations did not exist back then they were introduced by collecotrs to tell the individual cuts apart:

Most often encountered from my experience is:

M36: pleated pockets, curved flaps, dark green collar, 5 buttons, set up for suspenders
    M40: as above no dark green collar
    M42: only thing left is curved flaps (somewhere down the road a sixt button was added, and the lining material switched to rayon)
    M 43: straight flaps mostly with rayon lining

As already mentioned, depending on the availability of materials variations are rather common. Dark green collars post 1940 are not standard on issue tuniocs (Kammerstücke).

Al

Comment

Taste

Jan,

At the first glance: If you study that picture you will see how the NCO had his M42 altered to his taste. The green collar is taylor added. It deviates in that it is dark green and pointy! Pointy collars were SHARP The tunic was shortened, check the two hook holes,th ehtird on is covered by the lifted pocket. Short tunics were SEXY Also check the pockets the additional strips of cloth that gives the pocket its baggy look ( see guy to the left) were removed SMART

BTW still wearing the M36 style field boards.

Al

Comment

Four hook holders

Jan,

Check the inside of HW's tunic, it has four simplified cloth hook supports sewn into next to the slots for the old internal straps. These were common on later tunics, and were period added to this tunic but years after its finishing. The two additional straps were dropped in favor of simplifying the production process and saving on material cost.

Al

Comment

Hi Al

Thanks for the detailed information

Also check the pockets the additional strips of cloth that gives the pocket its baggy look ( see guy to the left) were removed SMART
          You're right, I did'nt noticed that!!

The stamp shows the size markings. There should be an additional set of marks: the maker's mark and a depot stamp such as M40.
          If there was a depot-stamp, Weitze should have told that, but I think there is only the stamp that is pictured, is that a red flag?

At the first glance: If you study that picture you will see how the NCO had his M42 altered to his taste. The green collar is taylor added. It deviates in that it is dark green and pointy! Pointy collars were SHARP The tunic was shortened, check the two hook holes,th ehtird on is covered by the lifted pocket. Short tunics were SEXY Also check the pockets the additional strips of cloth that gives the pocket its baggy look ( see guy to the left) were removed SMART

So if I understand right, all these M43 on the picture were taylor added and changed tunics and NOT standard fabric-pieces?

The tunic pictured is not an M43 it is an M40 with five buttons; basically an M36 w/o the dark green collar. The cotton liner is also typical for pre 1943 tunics.
          is 900 Euro a good price? although the breasteagle is re-aplied?

Thanks again to all for the help,... I still have to learn a lot

Greetings

Jan

Comment

Jan,

The author calls the far left tunic erroneously an M43, it has all the features of an M40. The NCO second from left also had his M43 tunic shortened and the baggy pockets sewn to the tunic. The third one we already described. The kid on the far right wears a typical issue M43.

I have problems with answering your price question. HAve had mine for quite some time. What I would like to know is do you want it? What do oyu collect or want to collect?

Al

Comment

Albert,

I sended you a pm

greetings

jan

Comment

Aside from all the opinions yes 900 euros is good for this piece and tunics were stripped and reworked all throughout the war.

Comment

You are right. But it is not the period alterations that give collectors' head aches, it is the post war ones.

Comment

Hello Albert, That is true but the possibilities could cause a migrane trying to find out if an eagle was re attached during or after the war unless there is real disturbing damage or evidence of tampering one could sit all day and speculate.This is a nice tunic and it is a reasonable price for a Combat tunic.From the pictures I could not tell if its post war altered or not.By the way I enjoyed your informative reply and did not mean to make it seem irrelevant as any good info coming from knowledgeable collectors is of great value these days.Best wishes for the Holidays,John

Comment

Tunic

Jan et al,

I think everyones right!! I think the collector terminology used M36, M40 etc can be a bit confusing. Albert used M36, M40,M42 and M43.I've seen M41 also used. Really apples and oranges since we're all describing the various economy measures that were taken which influenced the look of the German tunic, in this case the M36. The first thing that changed was the green collar was replaced by field grey, then the pocket pleats went, then the scalloped pocket flap was gone, resulting in what we know as the M43. Of course there were other changes as described above. Also the quality of the basic cloth declined. But this wasn't universal. I've seen M43s made from a pretty decent cloth to absolute garbage. But as far as the workmanship was concerned it was always very good to the very end.

Tunics like the HBT versions and tropical tunics also underwent a similar transition. However most collectors describe the changes by first model-pleated pockets/scalloped flaps, 2d model-scalloped flaps/unpleated pockets, 3d model straight flaps/ unpleated pockets.

jim

Comment

Hello Jim

You're correct about the confusion, I was on a totally wrong track there...I'm very aware of the evolution of the tunics, somethimes tailor added changed tunics are confusing. I put the tunic on hold and will post some detailed pictures of it when it arrive at his new home. I really appriciate your help and thanks again

Mohawkarrior, I also think that's a good price, although the eagle has been re-applied, if it is original ( and that is) wel, let it be. thanks for the replies

Greetings to all

Jan

Comment

to end...this are the kragenspiegeln, wich are machine stitched..they're wartime added and okay to me..
                          Attached Files

Comment

Enjoy

Jan,

Its a nice looking tunic. I'm sure you'll be pleased with it. Have a Merry Christmas.Jim

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                            X