Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions on this M43 tunic

Hello to all

I'm planning to buy this tunic from weitze.M43 from 1944. For me it's looking okay and the overall view seems to be good, but I want to know if you could see if the breast-eagle is re-applied or original to the tunic. Herr Weitze state that this is a 1944-piece, how can you see that? by the markings? Are they correct for m43 tunics (doesn't late-war m43 tunics have mostly a rbnr)?

Greetings

Jan
    Attached Files

detail breasteagle
    Attached Files

Comment

marking detail
      Attached Files

Comment

schoulderboards
        Attached Files

Comment

inside view
          Attached Files

Comment

Are the buttons removable? How many are reapplied? The one viewing the size markings looks as if it was reapplied?

Comment

Yes Perry, there are indeed some buttons re-applied, but I don't mind that,...these are the only pics I have for the moment. I asked Helmut to send some detailed pics, they hopefully will arrive monday. I want to know if the eagle is re-applied and if the markings are good...

Comment

I'm not a combat tunic expert but I've owned a few before..
                The one pictured looks to be a M40..
                I've owned two M43's but they were in HBT (don't know if a wool one would have little differences) This one shouldn't have removable buttons if a M40..But I could be wrong there ...anyone see a M40 with removable buttons?
                From the pics I don't see anything wrong with the breast eagle..

Comment

Perry

Could be that I'm on the wrong track here, but I don't get want you mean by ' removable buttons'?
                  what do you mean by ' removable buttons'? I have to a m43-hbt tunic, and they have indeed removable buttons ( with the S-rings on the inside). I never saw s-rings on the inside on a wool combat-tunic...neither this one

Comment

Perry is right. The model shown is an M40, but they were made throughout the war. In my opinion, the eagle has been reapplied.

Comment

m40

Perrys correct that its a M40 tunic not a M43. The M43 has straight pocket flaps and the pockets are unpleated. Some other minor differences but thats the easiest way to tell its a M43. However the tunic looks correct for a M40.Jim

Comment

Hello Jan.

I think it is a Modell 41.Then the later Modells M43 have not a Pocket with 'Quetschfalte'.

Sorry Jan i can write in german but when you can pleas translate:

ich denke es ist eine Modell 41-42 Feldbluse.Die 43er feldbluse hatte 1. Keine Quetschfalten an den Taschen 2.gerade Taschenverschluss.

Ausser wenn innen eine RbNr gestempelt ist kannes auch eine späte fertigung darstellen.

Cheers Tommy (I Hope i can help you)

This on the picture is a M 43.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hello djpool, I don't agree with you...

I know you have m43-tunics with pleated pockets, and even dark collars, the main differents between a m40-42 or and a m43 is the wool content , no?

On this picture ( Brian l. davis his german army uniforms and insignia 1933-1945 ) you see different styles of m43. some have pleated pockets, others have straight flaps,etc....

greetings

Jan

Comment

Hello Tommy

THanks for the help, but I don't know the word 'Quetschfalte'

sombady could translate that, bitte

Guys, Thanks to all for the help already ( jeez, that was quick, 6 replies within one hour form all over the world )

OKay have to go to work, will try to respond there...

Greetings

Jan

Comment

M40

Hi Jan,

The tunic pictured is not an M43 it is an M40 with five buttons; basically an M36 w/o the dark green collar. The cotton liner is also typical for pre 1943 tunics.

The stamp shows the size markings. There should be an additional set of marks: the maker's mark and a depot stamp such as M40.

The eagle is hand applied which means that hard core combat tunic collectors will not accept it as factory applied. Supposedly some indeed were hand applied but to me that would not apply to a post M36 tunic. The reason is the mass demand resulting in high speed production. The eagles were machine applied to a pre cut piece of wool, that would later become the right front side, some where in the middle of the manufacturing process. Then the individual pieces of cloth were sewn together and the liner added. For an untouched tunic look for one that has a machine applied eagle (I love the zigzagged ones) with the stitching not going through liner.

To some collectors this feature make the tunic worth twice the going price. Because of that some "sellers" would even open the seem to reaply the eagle in the "proper" way and close the seam again. The thread is the thing to look for then.

If you are looking for an M43 this is not the tunic you want. From my experience, M43 are the most likely ones to get in untouched condition. M36 the toughest.

Best regards,

Al

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X